Skip to main content

Wear Your Slippers All Day ~ October 14th

October 14th is "Wear Slippers all Day" day.

How fun is that? So make sure you put that on your calendar.


Today is National Diversity Day and World Farm Animals Day.  October is also Diversity Awareness Month, Eat Better, Eat Together Month, National Book Month, and National Cookie Month.


It's raining here today.  A bit dreary, but we needed the rain in the garden.  My sugar snap peas were starting to wilt, and my green beans are about ready to harvest.  


In celebration of National Book Month, I am pulling this off my shelf.  Today is a good day for reading this book.  Hubby bought it for me years ago, and it contains seven novels by Jane Austen.  I may also bake us some cookies and hold a "read and feed" night here with the family. 

I am also making a trip to the library.  I to return this book.  I'm not going to have time to make any of these this year.  However, I do plan on checking this book out again.  Cute stuff!

I finished the 4 scarves that teachers ordered, and making a 5th one for my 10 year-old.  They have a spirit week this week, and she has pleaded for one to wear on Friday.

What book(s) are you reading this month?


Comments

Carolyn said…
Well, not reading a book yet, but I did pick up a bout a dozen books at the library 50-cent sale last week. Looking at either Confessions of en Eco-Redneck or The Last Place on Earth (Scott & Amundsen's race to the South Pole). The Redneck one is much shorter, so I'll probably start with that one (263 pg. vs. 564 pgs.).

BTW, those slippers are too stinking cute! I've got to learn how to knit and crochet better, I think those would make a great pre-winter project.
I read somewhere it's also National Painting Month...

I like the idea of reading a novel this month...it's been a while since I picked up an actual book...earlier this year I read a book. Sad...I used to love to read books!

...guess I'm just busy. ;) Pat

PS...I like your choice of book. may read that one myself.
Candy C. said…
Cute slippers, I have the day noted on my calendar! :)
I like the Creepy Crochet book too, maybe next year you will have some spare time, yeah right!! Bwaaahaahaa!!
Unknown said…
And happy Banned Books week!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart