Skip to main content

Hedge Apples ~ NaNoWriMo ~ Today's Agenda (or not)



Thanks to my Mom, we are now locked and loaded with an arsenal of hedge apples.  Spiders beware! Bwahahaha!

November is National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo).  I gear up to write each November - 50,000 word novel.  I follow Rachelle Gardner's site and today's post reminds writers. It will be my third year to participate. Maybe one day, one of these will make it to print.  

What I get to do today (or not):

~scatter hedge apples around the house and wood barn

~dig up glady bulbs (way behind in getting this done)

~let the chickens out, check goat's water buckets

~finish the dishes the kids did not (ugh)

~sweep, vacuum, clean one bathroom (double ugh)

~write out a list for the store

~can jelly for Christmas


~make ground cayenne (already dehydrating)

~blog

~check e-mail

. . . .I might be lucky to get one or two things done today.  My neck is still hurting, node is still swollen, allergies are not backing down and I feel miserable.  I literally wanted to go to bed at 5pm last night.  That's how tired allergies make me feel.  My ears are draining, head hurts......and my elderberry juice concentrate has not arrived.   Next year I'm planting a entire field of elderberries (if it does work).  

I'm a tea junkie this week, adding immunity oils to my teabags, and hoping one of these natural remedies will help me.  Say a little prayer, would ya'?  I really don't like the thought of a biopsy. I'd like to prove the doctors wrong.  I may just toss this list today, and crawl back on bed, or high-tail it to the sofa for the day - my laptop, paper and pen, and a good book sounds better already.

Comments

Yart said…
Hope you feel better soon!
Michelle said…
Where do you get hedge apples. We have a terrible spider problem.
Unknown said…
I hope you feel better soon...
My Mom gets the hedge apples from a tree the city planted (where she lives). I don't have any around me. Sometimes you can find them at produce stands for sale.
Faith said…
are these the same as the Osage Oranges I see around in my neck of the woods? They are good at keeping spiders away? Who knew.
Faith, yes they are. I can't get them anymore. The tree my Mom got them from was cut down by the city sadly.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart