Skip to main content

from the Homesteading Journal . . .

....planted a Colorado Blue Spruce seedling, purchased cumin seeds to grow again, and planted two new apple trees.

...planted more lettuce, radishes, beets, carrots, Swiss chard, and spinach.  Rain is coming so we will till and plant more after that.

...planted several zinnia seeds.



 ...one hen isn't looking so good.  She came onto the porch and dropped an egg that was shell less and rubbery.  We have been giving her extra minerals and making sure she gets grit,but she is moving as slow as molasses and appears to be stuck on an egg.  We are keeping an eye on her, but concerned too.  I guess we learn something new every year.  She doesn't really act like she wants to eat either. Poor girl.

...hubby and I both have caught the virus that our 12 year-old brought home from a sleep over.  I'm taking Cold-Eeze and drinking lots of liquids, but we continue to be congested and now my ear hurts.  We've gone through 2 boxes of kleenex already....sigh....I really don't want to visit the doctor again.

Update on the hen:  She passed away during the night on 5/6/12.

Comments

Unknown said…
Have you tried giving your hen a warm bath? Sometimes that helps release the egg....
Unknown said…
Have you tired some homeopathic cold stuff? I started getting a sore throat late Friday, started it right away, and gone by mid yesterday. Hope you guys get better! A warm compress for ears is good too, and 1/2 water, 1/2 vinegar ear drops. My husbands doc told him that, works well for early on earaches...
GrannyAnnie said…
I am so sorry about your hen! We really do get attached to our girls.
I do hope you both are feeling better.
Sam I Am...... said…
Oh, so sorry about your hen. Was she old? You are so inspirng with all you get done. You keep me moving forward...thank you.
The hen was about 3 years old. We've lost a few of them (from the same group) over the last year or so.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart