Skip to main content

Excerpts From a Journal Junkie

from the homesteading journal . . .

We started tilling up the garden.  Martha is getting a new look this year.  She's getting a new hat, shirt, apron, and even gloves this year.


 (First Day Home)

I picked up our new chicks.  We now have five baby araucanas.  They are so cute!

 I planted about 27 pounds of potatoes, and about 130 yellow onions.   Planted the peas and two types of heirloom lettuce also.
 

from the family journal . . .


 After buying my 10 year-old a new pair of dish gloves, she went bonkers and cleaned just about everything, including my master bathroom.

  She rolled up towels and washcloths and tied them with pretty purple yarn.  She made me a "room" key and left me a note on the bathroom sink.  


 I may have to keep extra pairs on hand (ha ha ha!).

 Another stray cat has found our home. 
After keeping him in a dog cage for a few hours, he decided we were not going to hurt him.  He is sticking around the barns now, and knows he won't be hurt here.  The kids have named him Tim.


He doesn't appear to be too old, but does appear to have a mangled tail.  He's very friendly.
 

from the crafting journal . . .

My 15 year-old daughter successfully made a batch of lavender goat's milk soap.  It will need to cure before we can sell it at the Farmer's Market.  We are thrilled it turned out so well.


 I'm working on getting note cards made for my store (see button on left side of my blog).  




 I have fun using an old vintage potato masher to create this scissor and tape holder.  If you click on my S.C.R.A.P. blog button (to the left on this blog) you will be directed on how I made it.





from the writing journal . . .

Started reviewing older articles to update. 


from the garden journal . . . 

 Planted 13 gladiolus. 


from the gratitude journal . . .

 Today I am thankful for:

~ the rain that helps our garden grow
~ hot water
~ pillows
~ hot coffee, especially on nights I didn't sleep well
~ the milk the goat's provide
~ the friend you helped me start my herb gardens over 10 years ago
~ Ball canning jars
~ my camera
~ God's Guidance
~ God's Promises

Comments

EMMA said…
Those chicks are so cute, and my my doesn't Martha have a trim waist line!!
I love the sound of lavender goats milk soap, very impressed that your 15 year old daughter makes it! I'm a bit scared to try, it's the lye thing i think, do you have to use it in soap making?
Your note cards are looking lovely.
Yes, the recipe includes lye. She uses goggles, and gloves, and we remove all animals from the downstairs area. We place up barricades to keep everyone out while it's being made.
Candy C. said…
That is an awfully nice apron for the scarecrow!
Kudos to your daughter for her soapmaking! The lye scares me away too.
Love the note from your 10-year-old daughter! :)
Sam I Am...... said…
Congrats to your daughter! I too am leary of lye! I love the idea of your different journals....that's a great idea! Even bigger congrats to your 10 year old who left the note! She's a great example for all of us! Give them both a big hug from me! What an awesome family you have.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart