Skip to main content

Tomato and Other Garden Updates

I had to turn my to-do list into two lists - one for today and one for tomorrow.


My today list, just became today and tomorrow lists:

Friday:

Today's list:
-can tomato sauce - Reducing on the stove

 
-wash and dry dishes and put them away - Done
-pick, blanch and freeze Swiss chard - Done
-cut fresh basil to dry - Done
-cut fresh oregano to dry - Done
-freeze green peppers- Done
-make fridge salsa - Done
-wash, dry and put away more dishes - Done
-pick tomatoes - Done
-put laundry on the line - Done
-write
-write farmgirl penpal
-create template for sales receipts - Done
-some where in there, make dinner

Saturday:

-ship craft store order (my first order - YAY!)
-library returns and pickups
-can pear jam 
-can zucchini relish - if there is time

Without a list today, I would have forgotten to put the last load of towels on the clothesline.  Phew!  Normally, I don't use a list.  I just go with the garden flow - what's ripe gets processed, canned, picked, frozen.

It's about 86 degrees in the kitchen right now.  I had hoped to get as much of the canning done early, but it's the reducing of the sauce that takes more time.

I better get back to work.  I have a lot more to get done today, and it's almost time for school to be out.

It's hard work, but worth it.  The way I see it, why grow a garden and not utilize it?  I don't want to waste anything. Not after going through all the work to grow it.  Four trips to the compost and to the goats today also - Orion loves those leftovers (green pepper tops, tomatoes, Swiss chard stems etc.)

Comments

Candy C. said…
Yes, it is totally worth it! I agree, I hate to waste anything from the garden after all the hard work growing it!
The 3 Foragers said…
Very nice accomplishments. I read recently a quote saying that if you want to live off your garden you will have to live in your garden.
Hi, how do you freeze your swiss chard and then how do you use it after it is frozen? Thanks! Just found your blog recently. Nancy
Unknown said…
I'll be starting my apples tomorrow with the same processor, a roma? Looks yummalicious!
I blanch the leaves (cut away from the stalk) in boiling water, with the lid on, for 2 minutes (3 minutes for collards). I then immediately put them in a bowl with ice and water. Drain and pack in freezer bags. To use it, thaw and boil for about 3 mintues (dump the leave sin after the water has come to a boil (no lid). Drain in a strainer and press out water. Add to any recipe that uses spinach or other greens. Even soups etc.
Yes, it's a roma sauce maker. I plan on using that for many things. I'm so glad I bought one.
Thanks for the clear directions. Now I must do it! Nancy

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart