Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Got More Tomatoes? Make Tomato Jelly

Yesterday was a very long day.

The pantry was blessed with yet another 5 1/2 quarts of tomato sauce.  I used one quart to make my spicy crock pot pork chops this morning.  Along with garden green peppers and onions.


I am having to push my pear butter making to another day.  I took pork chops and 2 chickens out of the freezer, making more room for tomatoes.

My day was shortened today, on account of going to the bank to get my oldest daughter her very first checking account and debit card.  

When I arrived home, I used about 9-10 of my larger tomatoes, and made my very first tomato jelly.

I'm not sure how this will taste.  It will be used on grilled meats, for pasta dishes, dips, and a lot more, if it passes the family inspection test.

I saved the leftover tomato juice, from making the jelly, and will use that to make a pot of chili in a few days.  The leftover tomatoes were also saved and some treated to our billy goat.

After making 4-1/2 pints of that, I was left with about 5 dozen large tomatoes. I kept 2 for lunches and the rest is going in the freezer.  I wanted to can tomato soup, but I don't have a pressure canner yet.

Even after that, I have yet 1 1/2 dozen roma tomatoes, green peppers (more), and a handful of cayenne peppers.

I still need to bake my angel food cake, and start on homemade noodles. 

2 comments:

Candy C. said...

You'll have to let us know if the tomato jelly passes the family taste test!

Kim said...

I am putting tomatoes in the freeze also just hoping to get enough to take them out and make juice later on.