Skip to main content

No Make-Up Required

Yesterday, my husband and I started to build a split barn door, to replace the one that is basically hanging from the barn.  When we moved here, the bottom door was missing.  Here is the “before” picture.


We are trying to keep the original barn frame vs. tearing it all down and starting over.  It has housed many animals for many owners over the years.
My husband took this photo of me putting the screws into the backside of the bottom portion of the door.  It’s a bit out of focus, but the good news is, we have a new camera.  Pictures after these were taken, should look a lot better.


And yes, I used the table saw myself.  We work together 50/50 on most work such as this.  All women should know how to use these types of tools and build items from scratch, or re-purpose items to build from.



We are making progress, but these things just don’t happen as fast as you think.  We still need to frame the outside it, and attach it to the existing hinges.  Instead of purchasing new hinges at $8-9 each, we are using the ones that were already on the barn.  We estimate the barn was built around 1954, first housing cattle. 

We worked until dark, but had to stop to plant a plum and peach tree.  We are starting to build a small orchard for our self-sufficient farm.  We are unable to grow oranges here, but we can add pear and more apple trees.  If the two blueberry bushes survived the winter, we will add raspberry and other berry bushes for our fruit as well.

I’m so tired this morning.  I forgot how much work is involved with self-sufficient living. The humidity was very high yesterday, and it just sucked the life out of us, while working outside with tools.  There’s no use, or purpose, for wearing make-up these days.  

It’s all worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart