Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Storm and Power Outage

I woke up at 4:00am to the sounds of tornado winds.  After taking inventory on outside barn cats, checking the barn doors, and porch furniture, the power went out.  

In my mind ,I quickly took notes on things we need to be better prepared for disaster, and for self-sufficient living.

1.    Generator
2.    Wash tub
3.    Well with hand pump (so water will be available when the electric cannot run the pump).

I am very prepared at drying clothes without a dryer or electric, but I do not have a back up plan for washing clothing.  The well and hand pump would provide water for us, and the farm animals, and would not require electricity.  The wash tub would come in handy year round, and the generator would be a way to keep the food in the refrigerator/freezers cold/frozen.

I think the kids will realize that taking showers promptly, and not waiting until the last minute has its benefits.  Luckily, only one was too lazy to shower last night.  It also pays to have your dishes washed promptly and animal bowls filled before retiring for the night.  One of these days, they will all realize that.

I, on the other hand, was pretty calm.  I have oil lamps, candles, matches, camping lanterns with batteries, extra jugs of water, and so forth.  They one thing I forgot about, was a way to make coffee.  



I guess I could always heat water over a candle or the wood burner, but a wood cooking stove would be nice too.

No comments: