Skip to main content

Storm and Power Outage

I woke up at 4:00am to the sounds of tornado winds.  After taking inventory on outside barn cats, checking the barn doors, and porch furniture, the power went out.  

In my mind ,I quickly took notes on things we need to be better prepared for disaster, and for self-sufficient living.

1.    Generator
2.    Wash tub
3.    Well with hand pump (so water will be available when the electric cannot run the pump).

I am very prepared at drying clothes without a dryer or electric, but I do not have a back up plan for washing clothing.  The well and hand pump would provide water for us, and the farm animals, and would not require electricity.  The wash tub would come in handy year round, and the generator would be a way to keep the food in the refrigerator/freezers cold/frozen.

I think the kids will realize that taking showers promptly, and not waiting until the last minute has its benefits.  Luckily, only one was too lazy to shower last night.  It also pays to have your dishes washed promptly and animal bowls filled before retiring for the night.  One of these days, they will all realize that.

I, on the other hand, was pretty calm.  I have oil lamps, candles, matches, camping lanterns with batteries, extra jugs of water, and so forth.  They one thing I forgot about, was a way to make coffee.  



I guess I could always heat water over a candle or the wood burner, but a wood cooking stove would be nice too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart