Skip to main content

Red Lentil Hummus

 Here is how I make our red lentil hummus.  It makes a good amount, but you can slather it on a cracker and top it with a sliced boiled egg, dip fresh veggies in it, enjoy it on a sandwich (of any sort) and so many other ways.  You can use hummus as your "sauce" for dishes.


First, measure 1 cup of organic red lentils, and rinse them.  Add them to a pot and 3 cups of water.  Cook them until there  is no water left (they will be a mushy consistency).  You will need to watch the pot at the end so it does not burn to the pan.

Take off the heat and allow to cool.  Go clean something, read a book, fold laundry or enjoy the outdoors for a bit.


Place the cooked and cooled lentils in a food processor and add:

1 can organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed

1/2 cup Tahini

3 Tbsp. Lemon juice (I use fresh squeezed and often use one lemon, and don't measure)

3-4 Cloves of garlic, minced (to your taste)

3/4 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. cumin

Mix in the food processor, chill and enjoy!

Note:  We love garlic in our hummus, but you can easily adjust all the ingredients in this to your liking too.

It's our favorite hummus, next to traditional hummus that uses all chickpeas, olive oil and similar ingredients. 

Comments

Betsy said…
Although I like hummus, I don't typically care for lentils. Yours sound delcious.
Blessings,
Betsy
Sounds good. I have a ton of red lentils and will make this for snacking during March Madness basketball games.
Faith said…
Oh I do love me some hummus, thank you for the recipe. I did find the 5 crochet thread at Joann, I had to order it, not much selection of colors, I'll be surprised if they fill the order since they are going out of business.
Betsy, thanks. The red lentils make this a creamy hummus
Anne in the kitchen, sounds good.
Faith, hopefully they fill the order for you. For some reason, I thought I read that #5 was discontinued.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart