Skip to main content

44 Weeks Until Christmas ~ New Appetizer Recipe Tried

I'm not too behind in trying this recipe.  I printed it off (gulp) back on December 3rd of 2024.

Bacon Jalapeno Popper Pinwheels
Appetizer
(Don't Sweat the Recipe, online)



Did you know they make organic tortillas now?  In case you are lazy like me, and do not want to make them homemade.  


One bowl mix.

Spread on the tortillas, roll up, cover, chill, and slice later.


How they looked sliced for snack size appetizer.

We love these, but be warned, they are not low-fat ha ha!
These would be great for summer potlucks, taking along for weekend getaways, when guests come to visit, picnics and the like.  Not just for Christmas.  I would love to try them with home grown jalapenos from the garden this summer.

Honestly, if you don't want the tortilla in your meals, I would just as much enjoy deviled eggs with bits of freshly chopped jalapenos in the filling too.

~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

It's a brisk 3 degrees here today, with a windchill of -9°F.  It's so frozen outside, we were not able to put our trash container out to the road for trash pick up today. It's frozen to the ground.  Literally.  It previously rained, then froze, then melted a bit, then the snow arrived, and now the continued deep freeze.  Exciting news today.  Ha ha!

I have another recipe to try, but it's not for a holiday meal.  I am in search for one ingredient, and so far unable to find it in stores.  The recipe is from a cookbook I own, so if it all happens, I'll write up a post about it.

Meanwhile, garden plans are underway, and seeds are being ordered.  I try to plant something new to us, so that gives me something to look forward too.


 

Comments

Faith said…
I make something similar to these at the Holidays, they are pinwheels, with cream cheese, chillis, and ? red pepper, drawing a blank at the moment. Your recipe looks good, we like a little spicy spicy around here.
Betsy said…
That looks really good and something I know my Hubby would like.
It's so cold here too. Really cold. School has been cancelled for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and I'm guessing Thursday too before a bit of a warmup is supposed to begin.
Blessings,
Betsy
Faith, we both liked them, and they are quick, to make, other than chill time.
Betsy, thanks. I think it's the first time for me to make any sort of pinwheel appetizer. We are to warm up too, and I sure hope so. It's very icy going outside to tend the chickens and what not.
Leigh said…
I used to make a tortilla pinwheel appetizer but had forgotten all about it! So glad for the reminder, because it was always a big hit.

Definitely time to start on garden plans, even if the garden seems a little ways off still.
Leigh, I would love to know what you put in your appetizer too. I'm always looking for something new for group meals/potlucks etc. Yes, garden planning is fun and we are hopefully able to afford to fence the larger part this year.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart