Skip to main content

Enjoying the Last Days of February

 

It's hard to believe that we are approaching the last day of February 2025 this coming Friday.  The weather was definitely much more "winter" this year, but February is the month we tend to get the most snow.  


There has been some beautiful sunrises this month.  I'm blessed be able to capture a few.  We even squeezed an adventure in this month.  

We have also driven around, and located some new hiking/walking trails to enjoy nature and get exercise (maybe even a few picnics).  

Although we had much of the month in freezing and subzero temperatures, this week it warmed up to a wonderful 53°F.


Seen during the day recently.  Even the deer are enjoying the warmer weather this week.


I had the chance to read a new book on the porch this week, before the month ends.  Oh my gosh, the sun felt so good.

The ground is a very mushy mess this week, so there is no work progressing on the new chicken coop, but we have not forgotten about it either.  However, I did ask my husband where the new wire cutters were for this project.  We both have no idea, but I surely hope we find them.

I did however, take a walk out to the fall planted garlic, and all but a few are up already.   I did not walk on the garden, due to the thawing out here, but will check it again soon. 

Our bunching onions look pretty good for being February too.  I may be harvesting some to go in tonight's dinner.



I finally got all of my medical appointments off the calendar too.  I had to change one twice due to icy roads.  I've been bringing a book along with any travel friendly crochet/knit projects to any appointments or any longer drives, and have finished another book.  More granny squares for the book blanket are in progress (insert happy face).


I rescued our lost roll of shelf liner.  The clerk indeed must of put it down behind the counter, because they had it at the customer service counter.  I had to sign to get it back.  Literally.  Anyway, I took advantage of the store visit, and purchased a few zipper storage bags to help organize the current closet.

Only about 950 pieces to go on this puzzle, ha ha!  It's been too nice outside to work on it.


Here is the newly tried frittata recipe (29.4 grams of protein, cut in 4 servings).  It called for sun dried tomatoes and fresh spinach.  I think feta cheese and cottage too, but we finish it off today. We loved it, but  I felt the fresh spinach added too much moisture to the frittata, so I will wilt it and squeeze it dry next time we make it.   I may be topping mine with home canned cowboy candy too.  Oh, I did add a pinch of homemade "fire powder" to it.  

Recipe:  Cottage Cheese Egg Bake (Frittata in a pie dish)
From:  Sweet as honey online

I also made the homemade chicken breakfast "sausage" patties, but used organic ground turkey.  I left half of the brown sugar out this time, and may even leave it all out next time.  It's basically to carnalize it while making them.

I'll be posting the red lentil hummus recipe and an update on handiwork soon.  I plan to enjoy every minute of the last days of February.

Enjoying the Last Days of February  © February 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart



Comments

Sandi said…
"Oh, I did add a pinch of homemade "fire powder" to it."

Fire powder?
😃

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart