Skip to main content

Yarrow ~ Tea

 Back in the June fo 2024, I waited patiently for my yarrow to spring forth flowers, so I could brew up a tincture. 

In the end, I ended up putting both catnip and yarrow in one tincture, for a experimental mix for bug repellant spray (for us).


I strained it and used it to make the every changing recipe that Mountain rose herbs keeps changing (on their website).

You can read about the bug/mosquito repellant here on my blog.  Original post is here, but their link no longer works.

(dried yarrow on a screen)



We have added powdered yarrow to our "medicine chest" of remedies.   We learn something new every year.  

We have already used macerated yarrow for a bleeding cut, and it is said to be great for wound healing.  If you haven't read up on yarrow, you really need to.  According to Learning  Herbs,  yarrow is also great for treating a fever.  In the past, we have grown and dried feverfew, but we now dry yarrow. 

Yarrow salve?  I may be making some if we get enough yarrow before fall ends.   I have also seen videos where a person simply removed yarrow leaves and rolled them up in his hands, and rubbed them all over his skin as a natural mosquito repellant.  I have not tried that, because I feel you get more from your plant making the tincture for your bug spray. 



Here is a video from Learning Herbs to give you more information.


I'm just now learning about yarrow tea and syrup.

Note:  I have mine growing in pots, as it spreads very easily, but we also have it growing wild near one of the pots (cut the flowers to prevent spreading).  Be sure to know what yarrow is, as other plants can look like it.

Speaking of teas, we found a new evening tea that we love!  It's by Bigelow teas - Sweet Dreams (Non-gmo).  It contains chamomile, hibiscus, peppermint leaves, rose blossoms, spearmint leaves, "spice" have no idea what this means, and orange blossoms.

It tastes better than the Traditional Medicinals Nighty Night Organic tea, and the Bigelow tea is much less expensive.

However, like everything right now, the price is higher now.  I plan to grow my own chamomile next year, and hopefully figure out a mixture to make a homemade evening tea.  The flavors are very nice together.  We do not like the taste of valerian nor a few other "sleepy time" teas.  

It's a gorgeous 54°F fall feeling morning today here, and it won't last.  I posted about how there always seems to be a "cool" few days in August, and we are now getting them.  The weather won't last however.  We heat back up to the 90's this weekend.

Comments

Leigh said…
So that's why I made that yarrow salve several years ago! I really need to label things, or maybe I need a notebook. And I can attest to how easily it spreads. Probably best for pots or bordered beds. I've also recently read that yarrow can be used for natural dyeing, so that's on my project list for one of these days.
Funny you mention labeling stuff. I filled teabags and could not figure out what I filled them with. I had to tear one open to properly label them, ha ha! If you have a recipe for the yarrow salve, I would love to know how you make yours.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart