Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Yarrow ~ Tea

 Back in the June fo 2024, I waited patiently for my yarrow to spring forth flowers, so I could brew up a tincture. 

In the end, I ended up putting both catnip and yarrow in one tincture, for a experimental mix for bug repellant spray (for us).


I strained it and used it to make the every changing recipe that Mountain rose herbs keeps changing (on their website).

You can read about the bug/mosquito repellant here on my blog.  Original post is here, but their link no longer works.

(dried yarrow on a screen)



We have added powdered yarrow to our "medicine chest" of remedies.   We learn something new every year.  

We have already used macerated yarrow for a bleeding cut, and it is said to be great for wound healing.  If you haven't read up on yarrow, you really need to.  According to Learning  Herbs,  yarrow is also great for treating a fever.  In the past, we have grown and dried feverfew, but we now dry yarrow. 

Yarrow salve?  I may be making some if we get enough yarrow before fall ends.   I have also seen videos where a person simply removed yarrow leaves and rolled them up in his hands, and rubbed them all over his skin as a natural mosquito repellant.  I have not tried that, because I feel you get more from your plant making the tincture for your bug spray. 



Here is a video from Learning Herbs to give you more information.


I'm just now learning about yarrow tea and syrup.

Note:  I have mine growing in pots, as it spreads very easily, but we also have it growing wild near one of the pots (cut the flowers to prevent spreading).  Be sure to know what yarrow is, as other plants can look like it.

Speaking of teas, we found a new evening tea that we love!  It's by Bigelow teas - Sweet Dreams (Non-gmo).  It contains chamomile, hibiscus, peppermint leaves, rose blossoms, spearmint leaves, "spice" have no idea what this means, and orange blossoms.

It tastes better than the Traditional Medicinals Nighty Night Organic tea, and the Bigelow tea is much less expensive.

However, like everything right now, the price is higher now.  I plan to grow my own chamomile next year, and hopefully figure out a mixture to make a homemade evening tea.  The flavors are very nice together.  We do not like the taste of valerian nor a few other "sleepy time" teas.  

It's a gorgeous 54°F fall feeling morning today here, and it won't last.  I posted about how there always seems to be a "cool" few days in August, and we are now getting them.  The weather won't last however.  We heat back up to the 90's this weekend.

2 comments:

Leigh said...

So that's why I made that yarrow salve several years ago! I really need to label things, or maybe I need a notebook. And I can attest to how easily it spreads. Probably best for pots or bordered beds. I've also recently read that yarrow can be used for natural dyeing, so that's on my project list for one of these days.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Funny you mention labeling stuff. I filled teabags and could not figure out what I filled them with. I had to tear one open to properly label them, ha ha! If you have a recipe for the yarrow salve, I would love to know how you make yours.