Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, August 17, 2024

Pie Pumpkin Puree ~ New Recipes Tried ~ Medjool Date Treat ~ First Cantaloupe

We finally got one evening of rain here.  I'm not sure how much more we'll get from the cucumbers, but they are almost all dead plants at this point.

The jalapenos are rolling in, so I have plans to bake us a jalapeno cheddar frittata for breakfast soon.  I also have plans to try a new hummus recipe (Jalapeno-Avocado).

I've been trying new tea infusions, and have included some new ones and excluded some we didn't like.  I found that yerba mate iced in the early part of the day is delicous with nothing else in it.

Once again, there are locals stealing, cars getting broke into, and in one small town, a person walked through the woods to break into a house.   

I have discovered something new!  I can substitute pie pumpkin puree for mashed bananas in a zucchini muffin recipe.  I have only made the recipe a few times, as we lacked the zucchini (squash bugs).

I did not know I could swap the pumpkin for the bananas, and I am blown away how good it tastes in the muffins.  I hope to try it in other recipes.

(You can read about pumpkin puree making last fall HERE)

Is there a book that is specific on recipes with either use pie pumpkin puree in recipes or with information on what you can swap pumpkin puree for?  I know you can use it for eggs, oil, and butter in baked recipes too.

I'm curious if other squash can be used in place of pumpkin puree (in case there is a year without a harvest).  For example, sweet potato, butternut squash, or roasted acorn squash.



My husband is not a fan of bananas, so I was thrilled to learn this swap with the pumpkin I froze last year.  By the way, the pie pumpkin we planted has been the best, but I only see about two on the vines this year (again squash bugs galore).



The recipe is online by Real Food Dietitions - Gluten Free Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins.

I'm not trying to go gluten free, but the oat flour in this worked great.  You can use all-purpose too, but I was trying to make them diabetic friendly for my husband.  I have to tell you, that the pumpkin puree muffins were more moist and we loved them.  I tossed in some chia seeds in both batches too.




Do you like medjool dates?  We love a sweet treat once in a great while, and these will be on the repeat list.  However, dates do not freeze solid, so here is my tip.  First, the filling is frozen in a loaf pan, then sliced, then dipped.  I do recommend cutting smaller pieces than the recipe says, and keeping half of it in the freezer, while you dip the first half.  The "frozen" filling will go too soft to dip.  I keep our finished treats in the freezer.  As you can see, when I attempted to cut one in half, the inside is too soft to do that (even frozen).  They are delicious.  I used a non-gmo dark chocolate.  Recipe is from Clean Food Crush  - Date Caramel Bites (free recipe online if you google it).

Medjool dates are pretty expensive here, so we do have to limit the purchase, but there may be a new cookie recipe tried in the near future.


                                               
August 14th, we enjoyed our first home grown canteloupe.  We have not grown fruit in several years here.

It's still hot and muggy here, which in August is pretty much the typical weather.  There is usually one week or weekend later in the month where it's cooler, but that is about it. 

I hope you enjoy your weekend.  

6 comments:

Pam said...

Hi Kristina. I usually only grow butternuts as I have more success with them so that is what I use in my baking. Turns out great.

Debby said...

First - scary about people stealing cars etc. sounds like certain areas of California. About 10 years ago our next door neighbor had their brand new truck stolen from their driveway! He did leave it unlocked. It woke all the neighbors up. Now we all have the 9:Pm routine of going out and closing windows and locking up. Another neighbor went down to the city (San Francisco) parked and their vehicle had been stolen.

I’ve not used pumpkin purée in breads and don’t know why I haven’t. I have a watermelon sized zucchini my son pawned off on me so I’ll be making a zucchini bread soon.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks! That is good to know.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I think I found out about the swap with pumpkin for bananas while reading reviews on a recipe. Crazy how I learn about stuff. It was delicious, so now I have to try butternut in baked good.

Leigh said...

Getting caught up on blog reading. I haven't been at the computer much these days.

My grandmother used to use whole dates to stuff with walnuts. I think she then rolled them in sugar, which wouldn't be necessary, but makes them look more festive. These made a lovely little sweet and was a Christmas tradition at her house.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Leigh, that date treat sounds pretty good. I have some more dates I need to use up, so I may be trying a new cookie recipe.