Skip to main content

Another Favorite ~ Glazed Root Vegetables ~ Crock Pot Side Dish

Did you freeze any parsnips, turnips or carrots from your garden?  Or have some in your root cellar?  We love this side dish.

In a crock pot, place:

All organic/homegrown ingredients

4 carrots, washed, peeled and sliced
2 parsnips, washed, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 turnip, washed, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces

Top with 1/2 cup brown sugar, dot with 2 Tbsp. butter, and pour in 1/2 cup of water.

Salt to taste.

Cover.  Cook on low 3-4 hours.  I typically turn mine on high for an hour than back to low to speed up the process.

Comments

mamasmercantile said…
Sounds delicious, the perfect side. Thanks for sharing.
mamsmercantile, you are welcome.
Goatldi said…
A dear friend in a landvfar away who taught me how to spin made this with the addition of beets and the omission of the sugar I will try your offering can’t go wrong.
Goatldi, I bet it would be awesome with beets and no sugar too. The parsnips are sort of on the sweet side.
Pam said…
I will be trying this with a roast at the weekend, I will cut down on the sugar though, or maybe replace it all together with a drizzle of Maple Syrup.
With some pulses added it would make a great veggy meal so that will be tried as well.
Pam, my kids will eat them this way and delicious.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart