Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, August 15, 2018

How to Make Garlic Powder (Ground/Powdered Garlic) and Minced Garlic

First, if you are new to dehydrating, a book or booklet typically comes with one.  It has directions, times, temperatures, maybe recipes (depending on brand you buy), to guide you as well.  I apologize to all of you who already know how to do this.




Here is the one that came with mine.


 (This one is loaded with recipes on what to make with all your dehydrated goodies)



I also have these two books on my homesteading bookshelf as well, but plan to add more.

How to make garlic powder:



I chose a larger variety of garlic (Russian Giant) for this project.  Peel and slice the garlic thin and lay on the dehydrator trays.  I use gloves to do the slicing.  I follow the directions that came with my dehydrator, and dry until crisp.

Cool a bit after the dehydrator is turned off.



I use a small coffee grinder, place the dried garlic into it and grind it up to a powder.  Simply store in an airtight container with your other spices (out of light).







(dried)

To make minced garlic, mince fresh garlic onto parchment paper lined dehydrator trays.  Dehydrate, cool, and break it up.  Store in an airtight container.

The plan is to come back and share more books that you may find helpful with dehydrating in general.  If you do not grow a garden, most farmer's markets sell organic garlic. 



4 comments:

Susan said...

Thank you, Kristina. This is a good reminder for me that I need to be using my dehydrator more often. I want to get a goodly amount of nettles dried for the winter, along with mint and some garlic. Home-dried garlic has got to be better than the stuff in stores!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, my garlic is much better than stuff in stores. Yum.

mamasmercantile said...

I don't grow my own garlic but worth knowing, I am now thinking of buying some when I go to the market next to dry some.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, it tastes so much better than buying it dried at the store too.