Skip to main content

Hot!

It's been hot here. Yesterday we reached 95°F again, with a whopping high of 107°F heat index.

Nothing could be done outside, but I sure had a long list for inside too.  We don't have the large air conditioner put in downstairs, so it's been somewhat uncomfortable working indoors too.  I managed to pick some radishes and garlic scapes though.



Another batch of garlic scape and radish spread was made and immediately enjoyed.  I put 3 scapes in it this time.  Yum!

My long list of indoor work included cleaning the master bathroom, sorting the book pile and purging....




...freezing strawberries too.


I filled the dehydrator with thyme.  Restocked now, and will try to fill it one more time.  I use this not only for cooking and baking, but for butters, teas, and my Four Thieves Vinegar.  Thyme is a disinfectant too.

Yesterday, I managed to sort four large stacks of books to get rid of, but our local library won't take them until September.  Nope, not waiting, so they will go to the thrift.  Lots more to sort, dust and decide if they stay or if they will  go.  

I clearly had a love for Christmas.  I have a lot of recipe books, so I flipped through and saved some.  Not like I need more recipes, ha ha!

Comments

Susan said…
It must be hard to turn on the dehydrator with that kind of heat around! Thank you for the reminder - I need to check my garlic scapes. I live on garlic scape pesto all year long! I hope your heat wave breaks soon...
Susan, it's very hard to do anything in the heat. Today it's much better out, but the air conditioner still needs to be put in. Sigh...

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart