Skip to main content

Cats to the Vet ~ Harry Potter Scarf ~ Calendula Cream Update ~ Cashew Brittle Recipe

(these are older pictures, but you can see who is who)

The cats have both been to the vet this week. Somehow, with the "car shuffle" we managed it.  Jasper had to be seen because of his teeth.  He has gum disease.  He's going back for a teeth cleaning to prevent it from getting any worse.  There is no cure for gum disease in a cat sadly.  He's on antibiotics until then, and he's not liking getting it.  




Tiger is sick.  He started to vomit all over the house, so we switched his food, and he'll only eat one wet type (and it has to be cold).  He was keeping it down, but now his back bones are sticking out too much, even though he was eating.  Now his hair is falling out in large clumps.  The vet looked him over, and blood work is getting processed.  We'll get results soon.




Here is a photo of the scarf craze that has been going on.  It's the "Harry Potter" (Gryffindor) scarf that went bananas after the show.  There has been one more request (gulp) for a Slytherin (green and gray) scarf, so I have dug through my stash and sent photos to the person.  I'm still waiting to see if the colors have been approved before I continue it.  I'm starting my 5th "Gryffindor" scarf today.  It's taken 12 hours of labor to make the first 4 scarves.

Yesterday, I was out making a delivery for one of the scarves (hitched a ride to the vet with a daughter) and a slouchy hat.  Hubby is making another delivery for someone who purchased a double wrap scarf and slouchy hat.  

Remember the recent new recipe I whipped up for Calendula Cream?  Well, after using it on my finger tips for the my pinched fingers, the blood blisters have completely healed.  I love this cream and it will be my "go-to" recipe from now on.  I'm using it on my spider bite scars and hope to have updates on that too.  The next herbs to experiment with will be yarrow and feverfew.  That will be in the spring if my plants have grown enough.

Here is the recipe for the brittle.  I use all organic/non-gmo ingredients, and I make my own vanilla.  Read your cashew ingredient label before buying.  Most will include a "bad" oil, so look for organic when you can.  The last time I read a label on regular cashews, it contained cottonseed oil (high in saturated fats and possibly pesticides too).  Most people don't think to read a label on something that should be one ingredient like a nut.

Cashew Brittle 
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 1/2 cups salted cashew halves
1 tsp. butter (no substitutes)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla extract

In a microwave safe bowl, combine the sugar and corn syrup.  Microwave uncovered on high for 4 minutes.

Stir.  Carefully.  It will be hot.

Microwave for 3 minutes longer.

Stir in cashews and butter, and microwave for 30-60 seconds or until mixture is a light amber (will very HOT).  


Quickly add the vanilla and baking soda and immediately pour onto a greased baking sheet.  Spread with a metal spatula.  Chill or allow it to cool completely.  Break into small pieces and store in an airtight container (in a dark, cool area, but not the refrigerator or freezer).  

The brittle is not hard on your teeth.  It's delicious too. Gosh, just posting this made me run to my stash and eat a piece.


 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It snowed yesterday.  Nothing heavy, but all throughout the day.  I opened the chicken run anyway.  They loved the snow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart