Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, December 18, 2017

Sunday Work Day

Sunday was a work day for us.

First thing, I got up early and baked homemade fresh biscuits.  They look yellow because the lights were on an it was still dark outside.  It was foggy as well.  The weather is a teensy warmer, so hence the morning fog.

The recipe is on my blog:  Here


Coffee was brewed, and Hubby and I ate a "lumber jack" breakfast of home grown fried potatoes, gravy made with homemade organic sausage, and home raised eggs.  The kids slept in.  Then we got to work.  The girls were to do the dishes but later I found it they didn't.  It was Hubby who did them all.


We cut another load of wood from the barn beams and boards.  I donned my steel two boots and headed out to the rubble.  The nice part of cutting barn beams etc. is that it's just cut, haul and stack.  No splitting required.  Evidently, I removed enough nails to provide kindling for two more loads in the future. 

We brushed ourselves off, shook the gloves and what not.  Then I showered, and Hubby did the surprise for me in the kitchen.  I guess he went upstairs, and found one kiddo doing homework, so he just washed the dishes for me.

Then teamwork began again.  All of us started on some Christmas goodies.


We got a few cookies done, including our favorite cut-out recipe using organic butter and a butter frosting.  Speaking of butter, there is a shortage of organic butter in our area.  I went to two largest groceries that I could, and the largest store of all was completely sold out.  Then at the next store, only 3 pounds left.  So, cookies are limited this season, but we do have some stashed now for the up coming Christmas day.  I have no access to raw milk here, to make my own, and this shortage has brought up the topic of raising dairy goats again.

Needless to day, Hubby and Youngest, fell asleep at 7pm-ish.  I got about 11 hours of sleep and boy it felt good to get it.  

4 comments:

Tracy dixon said...

Yummy do you mind sharing your recipe for your biscuits. Those look so fluffy and flakey. Thanks

RB said...

Lord, the biscuits and sausage gravy in the pictures look yummy. That's one of my very favorite all time breakfasts.
Not much getting done around here due to my health. The doctor changed my BP medicine, and I notice today has been a tiny bit better, allowing me to get on the computer for a little bit and start on my To Do List in the kitchen on which I got the first 3 things done. Hooray!!!
Prayers everyone has a great week. I know CHRISTmas is next Monday, but slow down. No need to rush about like a chicken with its head cut off. Think of safety, slow down and take some evening time to view the light displays.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Tracy, I linked the recipe on this post. It's on my blog. You are welcome.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, viewing the lights is one of my favorite things. Glad you are a feeling a little bit better. I linked the recipe to the biscuits in this blogpost.