Skip to main content

Sunday Work Day

Sunday was a work day for us.

First thing, I got up early and baked homemade fresh biscuits.  They look yellow because the lights were on an it was still dark outside.  It was foggy as well.  The weather is a teensy warmer, so hence the morning fog.

The recipe is on my blog:  Here


Coffee was brewed, and Hubby and I ate a "lumber jack" breakfast of home grown fried potatoes, gravy made with homemade organic sausage, and home raised eggs.  The kids slept in.  Then we got to work.  The girls were to do the dishes but later I found it they didn't.  It was Hubby who did them all.


We cut another load of wood from the barn beams and boards.  I donned my steel two boots and headed out to the rubble.  The nice part of cutting barn beams etc. is that it's just cut, haul and stack.  No splitting required.  Evidently, I removed enough nails to provide kindling for two more loads in the future. 

We brushed ourselves off, shook the gloves and what not.  Then I showered, and Hubby did the surprise for me in the kitchen.  I guess he went upstairs, and found one kiddo doing homework, so he just washed the dishes for me.

Then teamwork began again.  All of us started on some Christmas goodies.


We got a few cookies done, including our favorite cut-out recipe using organic butter and a butter frosting.  Speaking of butter, there is a shortage of organic butter in our area.  I went to two largest groceries that I could, and the largest store of all was completely sold out.  Then at the next store, only 3 pounds left.  So, cookies are limited this season, but we do have some stashed now for the up coming Christmas day.  I have no access to raw milk here, to make my own, and this shortage has brought up the topic of raising dairy goats again.

Needless to day, Hubby and Youngest, fell asleep at 7pm-ish.  I got about 11 hours of sleep and boy it felt good to get it.  

Comments

Tracy dixon said…
Yummy do you mind sharing your recipe for your biscuits. Those look so fluffy and flakey. Thanks
RB said…
Lord, the biscuits and sausage gravy in the pictures look yummy. That's one of my very favorite all time breakfasts.
Not much getting done around here due to my health. The doctor changed my BP medicine, and I notice today has been a tiny bit better, allowing me to get on the computer for a little bit and start on my To Do List in the kitchen on which I got the first 3 things done. Hooray!!!
Prayers everyone has a great week. I know CHRISTmas is next Monday, but slow down. No need to rush about like a chicken with its head cut off. Think of safety, slow down and take some evening time to view the light displays.
God bless.
RB
<><
Tracy, I linked the recipe on this post. It's on my blog. You are welcome.
RB, viewing the lights is one of my favorite things. Glad you are a feeling a little bit better. I linked the recipe to the biscuits in this blogpost.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart