Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Excerpts from a Journal Junkie

from the homesteading journal . . .

The seasons are changing again, so my daily chores are changing.

Peanut's getting closer and closer to her due date.  I admit, I am a bit nervous.


Spent a day sweeping patios and walks - tree buds everywhere.  We had excellent weather to dry all the bedding, then towels, then clothes - all in one day.

I am starting to clean out the flower gardens and herb gardens.

The garlic is up.


The daffodils and tulips are coming up. 




The thunderstorms came...and then the flooding.  For the first time ever, the field across the street caused flooding across the street, into our property.  It flooded all the way to the front flower beds, and then downhill to the creek.  Thankfully, a long, thin, flower bed kept the water from going further into our yard, and possibly up against the house.


We made signs out of cardboard and sticks, to warn drivers of the high water.  The state department of transportation had not come out this time, and we actually later had to call the sheriff.  They then called for the city to come out, and put up bright orange signs.  Even then, drivers barreled right through it, at an unsafe speed.

from the family journal . . .

..we ate ice cream cones on the front porch! In March!

 from the writing journal . . .

 ..started reading No More Rejections, by Alice Orr - very inspirational.  I borrowed the book Wicked Plants from the library - useful for writing too.
 

from the crafting journal . . .
...crocheting a Christmas lap blanket, and continuing to crochet dishcloths and my knitted blanket.  

from the exercise journal . . .
 ...still getting to the gym for a good work out with hubby.


from the gratitude journal . . .
 Today I am Thankful for:
~the table saw
~chicken wire
~the weather
~shovels and rakes
~iced tea
~my front porch
~my front porch furniture
~the gym
~cooking utensils
~God's Love

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

Spring floods always freak me out, hope the water stays on the other side of that flower bed!

simplicityinthemaking said...

Sunshine!

Candy C. said...

Love the pictures of all the "stuff" coming up in your garden! :)
That flooding looks pretty serious! Good thing it didn't make it all the way to the house! Yikes! This weather sure is crazy!

Sam I Am...... said...

That book looks good. I've thought about writing my "memoirs" but I journal for an hour every morning...1 piece of notebook paper both sides so I guess that's my "writing".
You weren't kidding about the flooding! I had no idea! I need to read the posts earliest to most recent...duh!
HOw do you grow garlic? I use a lot of it and would love to have a steady supply and another perennial vegetable. Thanks again for your blog!