Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Breakfast Freezer Cooking

Yesterday was a good day for drying clothes outside.  The wind was perfect and the sun came out later.  I was able to dry bedding and put another load of pants on the line.  I love the smell of laundry that's been drying on the clothesline.

I pulled another container of frozen pumpkin from the freezer.  This time it was for breakfast.  The woman that works at the gym, shared this recipe with us, and even brought some in for us to try.  Here is the recipe:

Pumpkin Oatmeal
1 cup old fashioned oats
2/3 cup water
1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup pumpkin, canned
Note:  If you use home grown and pureed pumpkin you will need to add pumpkin pie spice or similar to flavor this.
2 T. Maple syrup
1/8 - 1/4 cup pecans, chopped

Follow directions on your oatmeal package to prepare oats, and add additional ingredients.

Top with whipped cream.  

I used our home grown pumpkin, and added spices to flavor it.  I did not have pumpkin pie spice, but used ground cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon to flavor ours.  It's delicious and healthy.  You could add a bit of ginger as well.


A year of quotes:
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." ~ Will Rogers

6 comments:

Candy C. said...

I love the quote, made me laugh!
The pumpkin oatmeal sounds great, another way to sneak vegetables into everyday foods! :)

Katmom said...

Oh, Pumpkin Oatmeal...sounds yummy... hmmm, how about pumpkin oatmeal cookies???? w/raisins! hmmm, getting hungry here! lol!
>^..^<

labbie1 said...

Your quote reminds me of the one about the light at the end of the tunnel might be a train! LOL

The pumpkin oatmeal sounds wonderful and I have some pumpkin butter that I made from scratch that is calling my name for this recipe! yum!

Michelle said...

Would of never thought of adding pumpkin to oatmeal. But it sound really good. I so agree with the quote.

Unknown said...

I love Will Rogers! Brilliant guy!!!

Sam I Am...... said...

Love your quotes! Also your pumpkin oatmeal and Katmom's idea about pumpkin oatmeal cookies...I am getting hungry and I just ate supper!