Skip to main content

Vintage Tray ~ Dry Mixes ~ Books

After a long debate, I decided to simply use my vintage serving tray for what it was intended for.  I considered adding a ribbon to hang it for a magnetic board (to hold photos), but did not.  It will come in handy this summer when I take iced tea out to the porch.
Today the weather was so nice out, I started spraying on a coat of acrylic coating to protect the paint.
We had a lot of wind.  Lots of it.  I had to take my tray inside to dry, or the wind would have taken it to the next county.

 I mixed up two jars of dry mixes - Dry Italian and Pumpkin Pie Spice.  Both are stored in recycled containers and the labels were printed on recycled school papers.  For the pumpkin pie spice I use a recipe from Allrecipes.  Here is the recipe for  the other one:

Dry Italian Mix
(in place of Zesty Dry Italian Mix)

1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. onion powder
2 Tbsp. oregano
1 Tbsp. dried parsley
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. ground basil
1/4 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. dried celery leaves

Mix in a bowl and store in airtight container.

2 Tbsp = 1 packet
(for dressing, mix 2 Tbsp. of mix with 1/4 cup vinegar, 2 Tbsp. water and 1/2 to 2/3 cup olive oil)

Random Reading

The other day, I visited the library.  I randomly picked a book off the shelf, along with a few others.  The top book in the photo is written by Grace Livingston Hill, and was a random pick.  I had no idea who the author was until I arrived home. The other three are my own books, and I am reading all four of them.  

My 10 year-old and I are alike.  She is reading 3 books at once. Ha ha ha!  She said she reads which ever one she is in the mood for.  I guess she gets that from me.

A Year of Quotes:
"It is the friends you can call up at 4 a.m. that matter,"  ~ Marlene Dietrich

Comments

Candy C. said…
We have been having a lot of wind here too the past few days. Love the quote! ;-)
Nancy Jo said…
I think its a good idea to use the tray. Put it behind something on your kitchen counter, I have three old tole trays in my kitchen, I like the way they look. I just put another one in my bathroom this morning.
Nancy Jo
Sam I Am...... said…
I always read several books at work...I go to bed early but read until late! LOL! I read a magazine, do a Sodoku to keep my brain awake, a fiction and a non-fiction every night. Those look good!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart