Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Freezing Mashed Sweet Potatoes


The grocer had organic sweet potatoes in stock, so I took advantage and brought some home.  I'm freezing them for winter meals.


Yesterday, I baked several, then allowed them to cool completely.   I added a bit of water and organic broth to the pan.  I pierced each sweet potato a few times before placing in the covered pan.




After I removed the foil, I sliced each sweet potato in half to cool faster.  I removed the skin, mashed them, and froze them in individual servings.  



I did not add anything to the sweet potatoes.  Five sweet potatoes gave me 5 - 1 cup servings.

If you have frozen sweet potatoes with added ingredients, I'd love to know how they turned out and tasted.  








4 comments:

Mama Pea said...

I love sweet potatoes but our climate is too cool to grow them. I can buy them at our organic co-op, but since husband is "not crazy" about them, I don't do that very often. Yours made into the individual servings look good. Topped with a pat of butter and salt and pepper . . . I wouldn't need anything else!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, I was thinking the same thing - top with butter. I may have to buy blue cheese and make the whiskey butter for them too. Can you freeze blue cheese?

RB said...

Sweet potatoes can also be nuked. They cook real fast that way.
A lot of sweet potatoes are grown here in the NC Sandhills. Many have been harvested in the past month, and after the machines go through, you can see entire families out there picking up the ones the machines missed. It's back breaking work, but it's nice the farmers let the poor nearby their farms do this to get sweet taters for their families for free.
We always just eat ours with butter, salt and pepper. Yum!!! Don't know about freezing them, no room in the freezer.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks RB. Once I get a root cellar dug, I won't have to freeze them for our winter meals.