Skip to main content

Egg on the Porch ~ Fun Happenings

Despite being the weekend I was up pretty early.  It's hard to sleep in when a cat is demanding food by sitting backwards in my bed, and flapping his tail on my face.  He's not even my cat per-say.  His master is Youngest, but he spends most of his time with me. And of course, barn kitty Timmy was at the door pawing to me for food too.  I just love that cat.  He is so loving.

The sun was shining when I let the chickens run free yesterday, but clouds quickly took over.  I'm not ready to see less and less of the sun, but I enjoyed what we did get yesterday.

I let the chickens out of their run yesterday, to have free roam of the homestead.  They typically huddle in their favorite mud bath dirt hole, or under their favorite tree.  Not yesterday.  They were everywhere, and it was quite nice to see them from every window of the house.  


I had to laugh at this.  I walked past the side door and saw few hens run off the side porch.  When one lady got up, there was an egg under her.  HA!  It was warm, so she must have been sitting there for a while and I didn't know it.  Just something funny to share.  Oh, and they didn't just leave me an egg, you can see they left chicken poo on the porch too.



Today my house will be soon filled with 6 to 7 screamin' "mimis."  That's my term for giggling teenage girls.  What started as "Mom can I have a few friends over?" turned into Hubby agreeing to more and letting them all stay the night.

It's a Halloween party for the younger two and their friends.  The house will be cleaned from top to bottom, and it won't be by me, ha ha!  When they want a party, they clean the house for the party.  And cook and bake.

I agreed to help with a few treats.  One, we will be making is mini caramel apples.  I bought organic granny smith apples, and I'll use a fruit ball tool to cut rounds from the apples, add sticks and dip in caramel.  The remaining pieces of apples will be treated to the chickens.

Another treat is a tortilla bat treat. You cut bat shapes from the flour tortilla, then dip in butter and cinnamon and sugar.  Here is the recipe if you would like to try these:  "Spooky" Cinnamon Sugar Bats 

The last treat I offered to bake is a rice crispy type treat, but made with organic chocolate crispy cereal.

And of course they have some naughty candy that our 19 year-old donated to the cause.  She came home yesterday with two bags of candy from the store.  I just hope the girls eat it all before I get tempted to eat just one, ha ha!

Costumes are part of the party too.  My youngest and her best friend are dressing up as "Thing 1" and "Thing 2."  I found inexpensive red shirts, and they both will wear turquoise slouchy hats I have crocheted, along with matching red pants.  I'm not sure on anyone else's costume, but it will interesting to see what arrives tonight.  I think next oldest is wearing an old wig with fun sunglasses, and dressing like that one girl from the movie Grease - Rizzo.

I'll let you know if I get any sleep tonight, ha ha!

Comments

Susan said…
Ooh, an egg! I had forgotten what those looked like! Sounds like your Halloween will be/was fun. Hopefully you did get to sleep but I'm betting the"mimis" didn't!
Sam I Am...... said…
What great fun and I love those little caramel apples on a stick...yummo!
RB said…
Sounds like such great fun, and though tiring - safe for them all too.
God bless.
RB
<><
Sam I am, the apples were delicious.
RB, they did have a lot fun. It rained so they did not get a campfire and s'mores, but had fun indoors.
Katmom said…
ok, the egg on the patio, truly 'cracked' me up! sorry, I couldn't resist! snork, giggle!
hugz
>^..^<
Katmom, it was hilarious! And I didn't have to go far to fetch it either, ha ha!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart