Skip to main content

Freezing Mashed Sweet Potatoes


The grocer had organic sweet potatoes in stock, so I took advantage and brought some home.  I'm freezing them for winter meals.


Yesterday, I baked several, then allowed them to cool completely.   I added a bit of water and organic broth to the pan.  I pierced each sweet potato a few times before placing in the covered pan.




After I removed the foil, I sliced each sweet potato in half to cool faster.  I removed the skin, mashed them, and froze them in individual servings.  



I did not add anything to the sweet potatoes.  Five sweet potatoes gave me 5 - 1 cup servings.

If you have frozen sweet potatoes with added ingredients, I'd love to know how they turned out and tasted.  








Comments

Mama Pea said…
I love sweet potatoes but our climate is too cool to grow them. I can buy them at our organic co-op, but since husband is "not crazy" about them, I don't do that very often. Yours made into the individual servings look good. Topped with a pat of butter and salt and pepper . . . I wouldn't need anything else!
Mama Pea, I was thinking the same thing - top with butter. I may have to buy blue cheese and make the whiskey butter for them too. Can you freeze blue cheese?
RB said…
Sweet potatoes can also be nuked. They cook real fast that way.
A lot of sweet potatoes are grown here in the NC Sandhills. Many have been harvested in the past month, and after the machines go through, you can see entire families out there picking up the ones the machines missed. It's back breaking work, but it's nice the farmers let the poor nearby their farms do this to get sweet taters for their families for free.
We always just eat ours with butter, salt and pepper. Yum!!! Don't know about freezing them, no room in the freezer.
God bless.
RB
<><
Thanks RB. Once I get a root cellar dug, I won't have to freeze them for our winter meals.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart