One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Thrift Store Mania

A few of nearby thrift stores offer a frequent shopper card.  Imagine that. 

This is only trouble for those of us with no self-control in shopping at such stores, ha ha ha! 

I recently earned $15.00 free at one particular store.


I had intended to go back and use my $15.00 free on a newer sewing machine chair.  However, it was already sold.  Instead, I brought home:

~a large bag full of knitting needles and other sewing notions
~a large crocheted doily
~2 table runners, one cross stitched, the other embroidered
~a toaster cover
~a pot
~4 large plates with pretty flowers on them
~a bag full of silverware (we are always running out of spoons)
~a large towel for the birthing of the baby goats or wiping off dirty dog paws
~a wig for the kids to use in the costume box and for "wig night"
~a small glass pitcher to hold leftover coffee in ("use it up")

I think I need another frequent shopper card.  Obviously, I can't shop there very day, or my house would explode.  But I sure love finding useful items at low prices.  And yes, there are many times I leave the stores without buying a thing.  Many of our area thrift stores are selling antiques at high prices.  That is why we love to visit thrift stores in other towns - better prices.

3 comments:

LDH said...

Oh, I love the treasures you found! I would had come home with them too :)

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

Kristina-
I am so happy and surprised you were able to find knitting supplies. I look for those things and NEVER FIND THEM!
I lost all my crochet needles a few years back-- it was an accident, but they were thrown out. Well, I've slowly been trying to rebuild my supplies. Of course I bought my most favored sizes already; but I still don't have a complete set. Anyway, I'm always looking for replacements for cheap.
Your fortunate to have gotten yours FREE! YAY!

We just recently got a new thrift store near by. I visited there Friday a week ago...some good buys!
Of course I didn't come home with EVERYTHING I WANTED...but I feel your pain.

~Pat

nancy said...

Good for you!