Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, November 2, 2019

Recipe? Shopping Day

I was gifted this large bag of misc. hot peppers.  Does anyone have a good, tried and true, recipe for hot pepper jam?  I have made habanero/apricot that was good, but not a "hot pepper" jam using a variety (that actually has heat in it).  I won't have time to get to the library to look at recipe books, and my ball book only has jalapeno jelly.  I am going to leave all the seeds in the hot peppers and swap out the cold for more hot and hope that helps.

Friday was a big shopping day.  Man oh man.  It was chilly out too.  Like winter chilly.  I went to six stores.  I had to replace my chicken watering unit, so that was one of the stops.  Romeo was not happy with my absence either.  I made sure I picked up an extra bag of carrots, so I could treat him one when I arrived back home.

Three and a half hours later, I was back home to unload.  It was close to 2pm when I arrived home (left at 8:30am).  Whew!  I was exhausted.  I forgot how tiring shopping can be.  The longest visit, was the grocery store.   I have however, stocked up on some baking ingredients for the up coming holidays.

I also picked up a new pair of snow boots.  They are not top of the line, but will keep my tootsies warm up to -5°F.  I got a few stocking stuffers for Hubby and our youngest daughter, wrapping paper, and tape.  I'm gaining.

I didn't want to, but made one last stop at the pet store.  I picked up a light for Romeo's collar.  It's like the one I bought for Jesse.   Now I just need to get a headlamp for early and late outings, when it's dark.

Here's hoping the weather is decent today or tomorrow.  We hope to gain on the wood and other stuff we need to get done.




15 comments:

Carol said...

Oh I hate grocery shopping. Those are the kinds of days I have most days with running errands for the family, grocery shopping for father in law, buying feed for animals, etc.

I hope you can get the wood stuff done. We are really far behind on ours!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks laurie

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Carol, you are so right about shopping. Urgh. I hope you get caught up on wood too.

Sam I Am...... said...

I google everything I need and you would be amazed at how specific you can be. Shopping is exhausting and I'm not sure I could do like I used to when my kids were at home.....hours and hours and I worked full-time outside the home. Now, I can order and have it delivered! Like today it should arrive! Good for you with the Christmas gifts!

Pat said...

I was just gifted a huge bag of these peppers and had't thought about jelly or jam, so thanks for the thoughts.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Sam I Am, I found one recipe. We'll see what happens.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Pat, you can also dehydrate them and grind them up for powder. We call ours "fire powder"

Life In The Seniors Lane said...

I made fire cider with mine. Easy peasy. In mine I used peppers of all kinds, seeds included. I added oranges and lemon slices. I also used mint and parsley. I added garlic and onions. After I added everything to the jar I added apple cider vinegar. It is supposed to be a nutrient heavy substance that once it has sat for about a month you can then strain it into a bottle. If you like add some raw honey. Take a tablespoon a day. If you feel something coming on, then take a tablespoon two or three times a day. It doesn’t really matter what goes in. As long as each item has fighting power... if you know what I mean. Some add horseradish, basil etc. It’s a fun project. I like the fruit in it for the vitamin C. I also make a jar of three full cloves of garlic then honey to cover. Turn it and burp it everyday. Burp means to let the air out. After awhile the garlic will disintegrate into the honey, The longer it sits the darker it gets. This is good to use as a cough syrup. Of course a big jar of pickled peppers is always good. I just cut them into rings. We eat them as is or add to dishes we want to spice up.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks for the reminder Glorious Needlework and life, I totally forgot about fire cider. I do have Four Thieves made for winter, but it would be handy to have fire cider too.

Robin said...

Kristina, In cleaning up my garden for winter, I have quite a lot of green beans that were left on the vines. I am thinking of removing them from the pods and letting them dry for soups this winter. I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Robin, I let my beans dry on the plants, and remove them at that time. Not sure how your weather is right now, but that would be the best way.

Cockeyed Jo said...

I just can ( in water or pickle them) mine or dehydrate them. I've never tried making jam with them.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks J.L. Murphey, good idea to pickle some too.

Luludou said...

New snow boots! love that. Need to stock up on Holiday baking items too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Luludou, I'm just hoping that Hubby doesn't request I host Christmas this year. I am just too far behind this year in cleaning.