Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, July 1, 2019

Birthday Trip ~ Weekend Updates

Friday afternoon, I got this wonderful surprise delivered. . .



I was excited and shocked beyond belief.  What a nice surprise.Looks small, but it's HUGE!  Oh my heart!

Just about the same time the flowers showed up, I get a text from Hubby.  He is now going from 14 hour days to 16 hour nights 7 days a week for at least a week, possibly more.

The good news is he was of Sunday and didn't have to return until Monday evening.  Here's an update on our weekend fun!

I took our now 20 year-old on a weekend trip to Amish country.  She was more interested in antique shopping and good food than anything.  Also, the pool at the hotel brought a smile to her face. I also brought along her younger sister.  We were reluctant to go without my husband, but we didn't want to cancel reservations.  However, this meant I was doing all the driving. 

We could not plant popcorn this year due to the amount of rain we have had, so we stocked up on organic popcorn.

We have been reading reports that it'll be hard to find due to the farmers not being able to plant.  We can live without it, but we do like it for a healthy snack too.


I also picked up another brown sugar container for my dark brown sugar.

I took her to all the nice shopping places we normally go to, , grocery store (best place to find other goods such as organic oats, which saves me a trip to another town), flea markets, craft barns and more.  Hubby wanted me to stop and get his growlers filled, but we forget them (again).

We returned home Sunday morning.  Hubby had the day off, so we high-tailed it home.  Hubby had the Harley out and two guys with their bikes awaiting our arrival.  I unloaded the truck, changed clothes and took off on the Harley.  When we returned home I gave, whatever plants that needed it, a drink of water and we retired for the night.

Now the fun begins with juggling Hubby's odd work hours.  He's going to nights tonight.  12-14 hour shifts for at least a week.  He picked nights over days, as our heat index will reach 100°F tomorrow. 

Garden work resumes after a weekend of fun, but I'll have to do it super early this week.

2 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

So nice that you managed a trip away with your daughters sound so interesting. I would love a look around some of the craft barns. Such a shame hubby had to work. He works such long hours, it must be exhausting.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, we had a load of fun, but it was very hot too. Yeah, the long work hours should change very soon. Praying they do anyway.