Skip to main content

Keeping Radishes Fresh and other Tidbits

I went out to check on the radishes again.  


To keep them fresh, if I don't use them the same day I pick them, I cut the greens, wash them, and place them in a damp paper towel.  Then I put that inside a container or reusable plastic bag.  Works like a charm.




The ground hog who got away.  I think there are two now.  Sigh.  Gonna have to keep my eyes open now.  Can't lose my garden after all this work.





A beautiful sunrise the other day.  We are entering into a very hot week this week.  AC filters were cleaned and temps turned down for the week.  Monday we reached 93°F.


With the temps soaring, the chickens are getting treated with shaved ice this week.

Woke up to a balmy, sticky 72°F at 5am.  I had plans to wash blankets and rugs.  Hm.  Yeah, that's not happening.

Comments

Faith said…
that sunrise...wow. Straight from GODS crayola box for sure. I love the shaved ice for your little yard birds...hot here..not my cup of tea, it's somebody's just not mine. I'll get my turn in the fall.
mamasmercantile said…
My goodness what a beautiful sunrise, stunning. A great tip for the radish.
Bovey Belle said…
Great radishes tip - I have passed it onto my daughter, though the fact they quickly deteriorate did make her set to and make a few jars of mixed pickle.
Faith, we are pretty sick of the weather here - too much rain followed by heat wave after heat wave. Frustrating for sure.
Bovey, I do can radish relish too. It's pretty good on sandwiches etc.
Rain said…
Washing? What's that??? ;) I don't do housework from June to October...well, just the minimum!!! :) Your radishes look great and WOW nice sky pics!!
Thanks Rain! We are thankful to get the radishes.
RB said…
Hot as blazes here too, and not a drop of rain in sight, so far anyway. Never thought of ice for the chicken (only one left now). How do you give it to them? What do they do with it once they have it? Very interesting.
May FINALLY be on the road to recovery. After 2 hospitals, one 3-4 day say (can't recall), an Xray, a CAT scan, an MRI and I can't remember how many doctors and nurses (and IVs and shots, today I went to a PT appointment, and the Dr. there may finally have discovered what's been wrong with me (a displaced pelvic bone, left side). She did a lot of tests with this foot and that leg, etc. discovered it was causing one leg to be shorter than the other causing pulls on the muscles and tendons on the opposite side, and therefore pain and spasms.
After all that, I feel pretty good tonight. I'm scheduled for 15 more visits, to keep resetting the pelvic bone and strengthening the muscles and tendons so it stays there. And I pray this works so I can get back to work, both at home and at the store. Praise God!!!
Prayers everyone has a great holiday, and a SAFE one too.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB said…
BTW - Martha Stewart says you can make a tasty soup out of radish greens. Never tried it, but ya never know. Let me know if you try it and if you like it.
There's probably a recipe for it on Martha's website, maybe.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, I purchased an "icy" machine that grinds up the ice. I place it in a reusable tin and place it on the ground in the shade. They eat it up and cool off and I toss the tin or rewash if it's not dirty. Glad you are feeling better too. I have saved radish greens, but never made soup with them. Hm. If I get any good greens I will try it. Right now ants are eating my greens too much to save them.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart