Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Tuesday Tidbits

Thankfully, the only damage we sustained from the high winds, was in the garden.   The plastic we put down in our garlic bed was ripped up.  I'll have to wait for a warmer day to fix.  

What's your preference when canning jams - frozen or fresh fruit?  I'm contemplating making a jam, but in the past I wasn't pleased with the end results of strawberry jam, using frozen.  It was not as thick as using fresh.  Maybe wait until summer?

I attempted my role as plumber, but failed. I could not wash dishes until Hubby was well rested to fix the pipe under the sink.  I was okay with that, but hate looking at chaos in the kitchen. Dirty dishes everywhere, ha ha!

Sunday, not one, but two daughter's came out for a visit.  Both stayed and raided the fridge, and made numerous pots of coffee.  Both normal.  Monday was a bit strange being home with no kids again.  But....housework resumed.  It's sort of like exercise for the mind.






6 comments:

Debby Flowers said...

HI Kristina - do not make jam myself, but know quite a few people who do that freeze fruit to make it in the winter when they are not so busy. Knowing how fruit behaves, I would think draining some of the liquid would help. Wishing you well!

mamasmercantile said...

I prefer fresh fruit for jam making. Although raspberries and blackberries work well from frozen. Hope you manage to get the pipe fixed so you can get the washing up done.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debby, thanks. Draining the liquid would be a great idea.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks mamasmercantile, the pipe is now fixed. Thanks on the fruit tips too.

RB said...

Never had children, but Bro Tom lived with me from age 15 on, and I have to tell you, he was a challenge at times getting his car stuck where it shouldn't have been to begin with, and stuck so badly a wrecker couldn't get it out so I had to hire a bulldozer to do it. And on, and on...the teenage stuff, not including the food he could put down then. I often teased him about having two hollow legs, he ate so much. LOL
Was windy here too, but didn't lose power or see any damage. Praise God!!!
Back at work 2 nights a week, 6-11. Other than the ride home in the dark, I'm enjoying it.
Prayers for a great rest of the week for everyone, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, my kids raid my fridge every visit, and down a lot of coffee, ha ha! Glad you are back to work and enjoying your time at home. Thanks.