Skip to main content

Busy Bee this Week

It's been a crazy week, and more to do yet.  Oye.  In the midst of it crazy weather.

I made sure there were no hanging icicles on the barn when I went out the other day.  I didn't want one falling on me, and it sounded like an avalanche with all the ice dropping to the ground.  There is flooding now everywhere and many people without power (we are talking thousands and it won't be on until Friday) due to downed lines.  Thankfully we were not one of them, although I was prepared for it.

We were bee-bopping around the kitchen getting breakfast, coffee started, animals tended, fire stoked, and Youngest went off to school.  Not long after that I got a message she was sick.  I got on the phone and finally found a daughter to pick her up for me.  I'm worried it's strep, and her speech contest is this week, so I wanted to get her checked out ASAP.  Right after I gave her tincture and teas of course.  I then wiped down the house with anti-ill oil.


I had to dig through my craft show stash, to get myself a scrubbie for the kitchen.  I do love these the best, but there is a request to make them thinner, so I'm on the hunt for a pattern.  If you know of one, I'd be delighted if you would share it or it's location.  These are super thick, but those with arthritic hands prefer a thinner one.  




I finally got contact with the business who wanted to sell my soap saver bags on consignment.  She asked for a smaller top on them, so I changed the pattern.

They now close up much tighter at the top.  I hope she likes them.  I have more to make before delivering them.

I had to laugh when our daughter was over for her birthday dinner.  She was doing college homework afterwards and it was a religion class.  She had to write a 2 page paper on meditation and her experience. 

I laughed because to earn points for our insurance program (pain in my rump), one way to earn them is to meditate 14 days of a 21 day program.  Yawn.

I literally, turn the ten minute session on, and do the dishes, ha ha!  Oh, and I helped daughter with her 2 page paper.

Union negotiations are over now, but the final draw is not clear.  The bonuses were taken away for the first time in 10 years.  Such a disappointment with this company.  However, they did vote out one thing - they wanted it mandatory for employees to come in on a call out.  Hubby is so stressed right now.

I can't wait for this busy week to be over.  I have so much to get done that I had on my to-do list, like make my lip balm, and can a few things.

I told Hubby that "Rooster's Crow Farm" is now rooster-less.  We will be looking for anyone getting rid of them this spring.  We really don't want to add more hens, so buying straight run is not on the plan.  


Comments

Leigh said…
Scrubbies and soap savers! Great ideas, both. I hope your daughter is feeling better. Strep is worrisome, but I know she's in good hands.
mamasmercantile said…
Good to read that you didn't go without power. Hope your daughter feels better soon.
Thanks Leigh, she doesn't like my four thieves vinegar, but will take tinctures and teas.
Thanks mamasmercantile, they are taking days to restore the power due to so many downed poles and damaged lines. So glad our power stayed on.
Susan said…
Hope your soap saver bags sell like crazy! There is so much illness going around, that I am loathe to leave the house. It drives me crazy when hardworking people have to bear all the cuts and downsizing, while those with the most go on getting more. Be careful what you wish for, rooster-wise!
Susan, I had to laugh at the rooster part. Yeah, I hope I can find a nice one or I'm buying straight run and starting over, lol.
Sam I Am...... said…
I use the Red Heart pattern and it is flat and easy. Love your soap bags. As for meditation....don't knock it if you haven't tried it...you and your husband have been ill and stressed and it has been proven to help lower bp and depression and many other 'stress caused' illnesses. Slow down and take a deep breath....if you died today how much of your household 'tasks' would really matter. Better to take care of yourselves so you are both around for a long while. Glad you have power!
Henny Penny said…
You are so busy. Congratulations on the little soap bags. Hope you sell lots of them. Hope you bad weather clears up soon. We've got 5 to 7 days of rain coming...starting tonight. :( Poppy said, don't get all down, if could be worse. He's right about that! Take care.
Thanks Sam I Am, I didn't know Red Heart had a pattern. I'll take a look today.
Thanks Henny Penny, we will be taking the weekend off to rest.
Carol said…
Those soap saver bags are adorable and very useful I am sure. Do you run an Etsy shop? A farm without roosters, what a lovely thought. Ours crow so much and I am over hearing them. LOL!!
Carol I have a second blog called Rooster's Crow Farm where I sell items. I haven't opened Etsy yet. I hope to have some soap saver bags up there for sale soon. Click on my blogs to see.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart