Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Christmas 2018



This was the plan anyway, but.....


Jars of Wild Violet Jelly



Jars of canned corn relish






Three girls received hand embroidered kitchen towels, paired with other gifts. 


The kids all received a "Starbucks" wine cork tree ornament.



The girls received charm bracelets I put together with their favorite things.  This is just one of them. 


I hand embroidered this towel for a biker friend of ours.  We invited him out for the big party/meal.  He has very little family, and he is family to us, so I didn't want him to go home empty handed.  He does his laundry on Sunday, and it's sort of a joke, because he often says "I can't ride 'cause I have to do my laundry.

As for what didn't get gifted - the jelly and corn relish.  They had a family Christmas on Christmas day without us.   I had called my Mother to wish her a Merry Christmas.  She couldn't talk long as she was putting food in the oven for a gathering with one of my sisters and brothers.  I was not invited during the call.  We live 25 minutes from where they gathered.

 I was invited 45 minutes prior via a text, and I had rolls rising, and no car.  We had sent our Youngest to deliver some homemade ginger-ale to our 19 year-old who was very sick.  In fact, she may have gone to the ER last night.  I'll find out later.

Anyway, I now have almost 40 rolls that were not consumed with my own kids.  In fact, it was our first Christmas to eat alone.  They kept our youngest (and another daughter was there also, who was expected at our house) at the gathering for almost 5 hours.  I'll be freezing some rolls to see how well it works.

The traditional snack mix and hot cranberry punch were never made either.  I was expected to do it after they finished their own gathering, and I was quite perturbed by what had happened anyway.

Today is my 20th wedding anniversary.  I'll be back to post a picture of my gift.  Hubby has to work today, and I have a ton of dirty dishes from a meal that was to be for many and ended up for two.  I hope to have an update on our sick daughter as well.  I was very worried about her.  She had to work yesterday(and has to work today), and called saying she was laying on the floor behind the counter, and couldn't stop throwing up, even sipping homemade ginger-ale. 

I hope your Christmas was delightful, peaceful and just enjoyable.  The gathering we had with Hubby's family went fantastic.  We had somewhere between 40-50 people here and a lot of food.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so very sorry for your family... they dont' know what they are missing out on. I have similar issues and it's hard. Hugs... I love your embroidery work. This year I gave homemade gifts as well. It made it very special for me. The color of the jelly is so beautiful. Happy New Year!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Ruth, this was the first year for me to even try that jelly. It surely made a beautiful, and very tasty, jelly. Happy New Year to you too.