Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, January 11, 2020

Hope Chest ~ Preparing Your Kids for Independent Life

I was asked to explain our daughter's Hope Chest.  I do not have an actual "chest" in which items go into, but they go into storage bins.

A Hope Chest simply refers to preparing your child for independent life.  To us, it doesn't mean simply "marriage" but independent life, and have a good start for it.


Image result for hope chest book
(not my photo)

There is actually a book written about the Hope Chest, and suggestions.  I used to own this book, but passed it on to a friend years ago.

We don't want our kids going broke, when it's time to leave the "nest" so I try to add to their stash quite often.  The first three to move out even had boxes of homemade Christmas ornaments for their own, first Christmas trees away from home.


(Made with scraps of cotton year leftover from knitting dishcloths and other items).



I recently added a scrap rug to our youngest's daughter's "Hope Chest" along with a few Christmas ornaments.  I also added a set of coffee cup coasters with a hand embroidered kitchen towel, and a new kitchen utensil.  

It's not limited to what you put in a child's hope chest, but most importantly useful and needed items.  I just add a few items to keep it fun and real, like the ornaments or other items.

Just for example (but not limited, let your mind be creative), here is a list of ideas to stock up and prepare your child for independent life:

-Bedding, handmade quilt, hand crocheted afghan



-Handmade washcloths and face scrubbies (I crochet)

-Handmade hot pads, dish towels (embroidered etc).  I hand crochet hot pads, XL pt holders.

-Handmade dishcloths, hand crocheted dish scrubbies (I knit and crochet them)

-kitchen items: salt/pepper shaker, butter dish, utensils, set of dishes, canister set

-basic bakeware/cookware

-handmade doilies, dresser and night stand covers

-handmade tablecloths

-recipe box, locally made or handmade

-cookbook with family recipes, including homemade cleaner recipes like homemade laundry soap, foaming hand soap, grout cleaner, and homemade "lysol" wipes.  Our youngest is the only one to have a "family" cookbook, but I get messages from the older ones for family recipes often.  Include easier recipes for homemade dry mixes like taco mix, italian, seasoned salt, homemade hot cocoa, homemade butters (honey-cinnamon, cranberry etc.,) Recipes for herb infused cooking oils, spreadable butter etc.

-books on growing indoor/outdoor herbs, veggies etc.


When they get older gift them a dehydrator with a recipe book, and homemade useful, frugal recipes.


Our daughter already has quite a bit, aside from the bedding.  She has entire set of 7 hand embroidered "cat" kitchen towels and many other items.  

I often look for unique items while out at the thrift stores, but more-so at antique stores (butter dishes, measuring cups, measuring spoons, spoon rest, etc.).

Store items in a chest (thrift stores often have them), or storage bins.  A hope chest is not limited to your own children either.  It could be a grand child, God child etc.

I hope you enjoyed my post today.  I just try to add a personal touch to most of what we put in Youngest Daughter's Hope chest.

I remember when our oldest daughter set up in her first apt. by herself.  She sent me photos of everything I had made, and was so proud of her new "home."  Even the smallest item can make a difference.


10 comments:

Carol said...

I had a hope chest when I left home of items that I had purchased while still at home and I must say that it was very helpful. I had both of my girls do the same and it has helped them. Old traditions like these are still so important but people have lost site of these things.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Carol, so true. I think it's much harder to start an independent life today, so I hope more parents will be doing this.

Debby Flowers said...

Thank you Kristina, that was interesting. I would imagine you would do similar for a boy. My daughter is 27 now. Since graduating from college she has been renting part of a walk-out basement in a private home. It came furnished - she gets to park in the garage and has kitchen privileges. What a sweet deal, she even gets to have pets with no responsibilities! She has become part of their family in some ways. They are selling the house in the spring though, so she will be moving to an apartment; she will need lots of stuff. They never stop being our kids right, so I am going to start putting some kitchen things away for her.

mamasmercantile said...

We had hope chests for our three daughters first for leaving home for university and then for setting up home properly. It gave them a good start and was well received.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Yes Debby, you can do this for your Son too, we did. It really helps them out.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks mamasmercantile

Sam I Am...... said...

What a wonderful idea! Unfortunately I was working when my kids left home and didn't have time for any of that but it is truly a great gift and probably eases the transition for both parent and child.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I am, thanks. I don't think many people do this anymore, but I do work on it when I can. Just one kiddo left at home now.

Cockeyed Jo said...

I did several hope chests for my daughters. The kitchen one was the biggest with sundry items flatware, measuring items, can opener, canisters (filled of course),dish towel, dishcloths, pot holders, pint jars of homegrown herbs and spices, etc. Each item had my personal touches of embroidery, knit, crochet, or quilting. I never bought sheets because their bed sizes varied, but I did do pillow cases, soaps, shampoos, lotions etc. Each left home with a gallon of laundry soap and bars of soap to make more.

I figured they'd be back from time to raid the grocery fairy's (me) cupboard. I wasn't wrong.I got labeled the term grocery fairy because when they moved in there were baskets of groceries, a mop, broom, and dust pan included with a gallon of vinegar, bleach, baking soda, and rags too. I was this snoopy kind of mama when I visited. I'd look around for what is needed and then provide it for them. Especially when the grandkids started appearing. My husband and I were determined that our grandchildren would never go hungry or do without essential needs.

We didn't take away from the parents, but we knew from experience how hard it is trying to make ends meet. Our parents did the same thing. Whenever we visited, we ended up taking home twice as much as we came home with.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Cockeyed Jo, the first place the kids go when they come over is the fridge and the utility room. One always brings her laundry to do, ha ha!