Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Teabag Tidbits and other randomness


We had a plethora of cardinals yesterday.  Sorry for the dirty window, and lawn furniture in the way of your view.







There were over a dozen.  I was taking photos quickly, so sorry they are out of focus too.  I couldn't believe there were so many of them in one place.


One of my daughters came out for a visit yesterday.  I was just thinking about her too.  She typically is the only daughter (that's moved out) that comes to visit anymore.  I do enjoy her company.

I had so much to do yesterday, that reading time was very limited.  I hope I can finish my book, but I do have a crochet order as well.  

We have a long week of no sunshine this week.  I have had all the lights on, which I know won't shrink my inflated electric bill, but man.

I managed to make a trip to the library, just to get out of the house for a short spell.

Seed catalogs have arrived.  I am trying to make a conscious effort to downsize, just in case we have a rotten spring.  I can't go in debt with spending and no bounty from it.  It's tough to figure out what to continue to grow and what to cut out of the list.  I miss my popcorn, but I can buy non-gmo about 3 hours from here, which lasts for us.  I know I will order more garlic.  I doubt what I planted (so late too) in the grow bags last fall will amount to much of anything.

We have officially run out of wood.  We got zero cut last night.  Hubby took had overtime.


13 comments:

Faith said...

Oh wow! I have never seen that many cardinals together in one place. Wonder what the buzz was.? They are so pretty, sometimes not often though we will have 1 couple come to our feeder. I've heard it said that when you see a cardinal at your feeder, it is a departed love one checking in on you. I like that, it is comforting. They are especially pretty when there is snow, they are stunning. Oh yes...sunshine, what is that? You and I live in the same State..the sun has not been out for several days at least 4 or 5 now. But...no snow :). I planted garlic in the fall, I hope it comes up.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Faith we too have never seen this many at one time. We have had many deaths over the last few years, so it made me smile. I planted garlic in the fall too, but late, and in grow pots. I'll have to spring plant in the garden and compare.

Faith said...

Kristina..I had one of those old pressure cookers, I used it maybe once. Afraid of it. The new ones are very nice, and they do multiple things, saute,slow cook rice etc. I bought a real pretty wrap for it with roosters.

Mama Pea said...

I've been thinking about my garden, too, lately and also down sizing this year. We had a weird fall last year and for the first time ever, I didn't get my garlic planted. (Eeep!) So this spring I'll plant it and see if I get a halfway decent crop in the fall. We'll call it a garden experiment! I suppose the success (or failure) all depends on the kind of summer we have. And length of fall.

We don't normally have cardinals way up here, but several years ago had a pair that stayed year 'round and raised their babies here in the spring. They graced us with their company for two years . . . and then disappeared. Such beautiful birds!

Sam I Am...... said...

That tea bag quote is very true! Cardinals were my Mother's favorite bird.

mamasmercantile said...

What a joy to see the cardinals, they are so pretty. We have made a start planning our little garden, much smaller than originally thought but enough to hold our interest.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, gardening has gotten more difficult over the last 3-4 years. Crazy.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Sam I Am

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, it was such a surprise to see all of those cardinals at once.

Luludou said...

Amazing those cardinals! wish we could see some here... a very rare thing indeed.
How fun to be planning the garden allready. Glad you got to enjoy your daughter's visit

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Luludou

RB said...

I LOVE the idea of the free pantry recycling. It would be all unopened goods though, wouldn't it?
We use to have so many cardinals, but the last 2 winters we've hardly seen a one. I wonder why. I think the farmer spraying behind us hinders much besides the weeds he's fighting in his growing fields, and that's sad.
So far lately, I've been unable to eat much. Everything runs right through me. Having a colonscopy on 2/17. Really looking forward to that. (NOT) But with older brother having colon and liver cancer, it's a must.
Last night I tripped and hit my right ribs on the bedstead. I didn't cuss, but am in much pain today. I have to remember to keep my slippers by the door and not by the side of the bed. That's what the problem is. I get out of bed and trip over the daggone slippers.
Praying everyone has a great weekend, and a safe one too. My love and prayers is with you all.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, glad you are feeling better. I did the same thing with my slippers. It's dark when I get up.