Skip to main content

Grilling Out ~ Crocheted Bookmark ~ Honey Syrup Recipe


We've been having wonderful weather that is perfect for drying clothes outside.  What a strange winter this is.  We even grilled out last night.

 A few years ago, I purchased a large bag of items at the Goodwill.  I am finally now sorting it out and untangling the mess.  However, I found some "goodies" in the bottom of the bag.


I found tatting thread!  After I took this photograph, I found two more in different colors.  I'm so excited!

With some of the cotton crochet thread in my bag from the thrift store, I crocheted myself a fun granny square bookmark.  I still need to weave in my ends, but I love it.  I am practicing a few patterns before I put a few more in my store.

Honey Syrup is a great substitute for store bought syrup.  I saw that the recipe was requested, and here is the recipe: I made a simple syrup of equal parts of water and sugar.  I heated it until it dissolved, then added an equal amount of honey.  I heated until the syrup was the thickness I wanted and put leftovers in a canning jar.  For my large family we used 2/3 cup of each ingredient, but you could easily cut it in half and use 1/3 cup for each ingredient.  

As for the Monster Cookies, I have several recipes for them.  For the ones I posted about, I used a baking mix and Candy's recipe on her blog.  Here are the links:

Comments

Candy C. said…
Thanks for the honey syrup recipe, it sounds pretty easy! :)
I love your granny square bookmark! It never occured to my little pea brain to make granny squares with cotton crochet thread!
Carolyn said…
Beautiful bookmark!
Amy said…
Love Love Love the bookmark! Very cute.
EMMA said…
Thanks for the honey syrup recipe; maple syrup is very expensive here and my kids love it!!
Can't wait until I can dry my clothes outside again!
Beansieleigh said…
Oh my word.. You STILL can hang up laundry on your clothes line?.. IN FEBRUARY??!!!! I can't believe my eyes! We've had unusually warmer weather the last couple of days, but grey and damp and muddy, so we still can't take the dog on the nice long walks we would otherwise like to take on the nicer days. We've gotten a little snow here and there, but so far, we shouldn't complain. It's been a pretty mild winter, I think!.. LOVE the beautiful bookmark you crocheted!... Have a great day! ~tina
Unknown said…
I love the crochet bookmark. Just found your blog today, so many great ideas. Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart