Skip to main content

Excerpts from a Journal Junkie

from the Homesteading Journal. . .

We stocked up another truck load of hay for the goats. Speaking of goats, my 15 year-old said she could feel Peanut's baby kick.  She is due to kid in about May. 

(sorry for the bad photo - bad lighting)

I am trying my first batch of "budget" baking mix and we made Monster cookies.  They were pretty good too.



I've found another way to add kale to our meals - mix it in with garlic mashed potatoes. Note to self - plant more Kale in the garden this year.

I've also been looking for ways to utilize our stocked up blueberries and ricotta cheese.  Both are future goals for us - produce enough home grown, chemical free blueberries to stock up, and make homemade ricotta cheese from our own raw milk.  I've been adding both ingredients to pancakes and topping with a homemade honey syrup.  Every time I bought a bottle of pancake syrup (when real Maple syrup was too expensive), I would cringe.  To my surprise, the homemade honey syrup is delicious, healthy, affordable, and utilizes our raw honey we purchase locally.  Raising our own honey bees is on our future goal list also.


The kids cleaned their room, and one decided she did not want this pink vintage suitcase anymore.



I claimed it as mine.  It's too small to really pack clothes for a trip, but I could use it to store books or games for camping trips.  Possibly use it to store craft supplies.  Not sure yet.

My son invested in a charger to charge AA rechargeable batteries. Although electric, it should save us money on batteries when we need them.


We recently found out that we can dump our wood stove ashes directly to our garden.  We've been adding some to the compost, so it makes sense, and easier too.




from the craft journal. . .
  
(before framing)


I finished the shadow box that I was framing my Grandmother's 1924 Valentine in.  I quilled the top two corners and added a few quilled hearts around her photo.


I finished 3 pairs of dice earrings for my 10 year-old (who has been begging for a pair).  She saw them at Claire's (6 pairs for over $8.00).  I told her I could make them, and did for a lot less.  I purchased dice beads for $2.99 plus 30% off, and have more to make for all the girls.


I finished  three pairs of pink dice earrings I made from pieces of a broken, elastic kids hair band.


I also finished a few more bottle cap magnets.  The kids have been asking for more, to use in their school lockers. 

I also finished two other projects that can be read on my S.C.R.A.P. Blog:
 http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/2012/01/what-can-i-do-with-vintage-wooden.html

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/2012/01/pin-cushions-using-kitchen-and-art.html

 from the family journal. . .



I surprised the kids with another "Punch Bowl" Friday punch and cookies.  I am working on more new family traditions.




from the gratitude journal. . .

Today I am thankful for:

1.Cartoons - they make me laugh.

2. my stove

3. Music

4. the extra drying racks that Mom gave me, I've been using them a lot this season

5. God's Promises
 


 

  

Comments

Candy C. said…
I'm glad ya'll liked the cookies! Garlic/Kale mashed potatoes - YUM!
The earring sure turned out cute and I love the arrangement for your grandmother's vintage valentine!
I'm going to have to look for your honey syrup recipe too!
City Chick said…
The cookies look yummy! You'll have to share the recipe.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart