Skip to main content

Heating the House ~ $25.00 Truck Load of Wood ~ Wig Party

Where can you find someone willing to sell you a truck load of wood for $25.00? It's rare indeed.  Thankfully, my son can lift these heavy pieces and put them on the wood splitter for me to split.  He unloaded the truck too.  Most of the wood was in stump pieces about 3 feet wide, the kind that no person really wants to mess with.  We, on the other hand, were very thankful to God for this wood.  Regardless of size.  We spent the afternoon splitting about half of it, until we needed to go inside and thaw out our finger tips.


Now, if we could just find wood pellets.  Clerks were giving my husband a weird look when he asked if they had any.  So far, we are not finding them.   One store even told us they are not ordering any more this season.  


This morning, we are off on a venture, to locate a store that has some.  Thankfully, we can call ahead, but even that isn't always accurate.  One time we called, they said yes we have them.  I arrived to find zero.  The person on the phone had checked my question by looking them up on the store computer, and not looking on the shelf.  They had a truck load, but it was outside, and not unloaded.  I made a point that time, to let them know I drove 25 minutes each way, based on their employee's answer.  I was sick that day too, and had just been to the doctor.  I wasn't a pleasant customer that day.


Last night my 10 year-old wanted the night to be a "Wig party."  We dug through our costume box and put on wigs.  Even "Tig" wore a wig:


And Jesse:
Ha ha ha ha!  Well...they wore them long enough to snap a few pictures anyway. 

Comments

EMMA said…
Tig looks like something from the Lion King movie!! Poor Jesse I'm not sure he'll thank you for publishing this picture!!
Yart said…
My monsters think your animals are very cute! Now they want to do it ours also... Not long ago we put on our bonnets on the dog... He was not impressed.... LOL!
Nancy Jo said…
Boy you are not only crafty, but strong! Sure is a good deal on the wood.Love the smell of a wood stove.
Nancy Jo
Candy C. said…
LOL!! Poor Tiger and Jesse! ;-)
Our Wal-Mart still had pellets when I was there today but our winter has been pretty mild and they probably just haven't sold them all.
Great deal getting all that wood for $25!!
Unknown said…
Good for the wood!
labbie1 said…
Love the green wig! LOL
Wow, that's a GREAT deal on the wood. How long will that last in your home? We have firewood, but we hardly ever use it. I'm thinking we should give it a try...because it certainly doesn't cost to use the fireplace ;) :)

Wood pellets are a common thing in Oregon...and you won't get any strange looks for asking for them!! I hoe you can find some in your neck of the woods ;) :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)
Heather, a truckload may last us a month or longer, depending on the weather. If the weather is nice out, and the kids are all in school, I can typically only run the corn burner for heat. If it's very cold, we run both non-stop and can use up the wood fast.
Penny said…
congrats on the wood, wow that is a great price even if you have to split it...we split our own wood too...hubby has a wood splitter that attaches to the tractor...I'm thankful that we have been able to find some down trees on our property lately. Right now we don't have our wood stove in the house so we have been using maple and oak wood outside in the smoker. The venison smoked this year has been very good. We just got the woodstove and will have it set up and ready to go for next winter. I have enjoyed your blog...
siryoz0 said…
That's a lot of wood to split and I hope you have reliable wood splitter in your storage.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart