Skip to main content

Braided Rag Rug, Heart Wall Paper Note Cards and More Projects

We weren't really snowed in yesterday, but we did get snow.  It was perfect for sitting down in front of the wood burning stove, and to start braiding a rag rug.  


This is more difficult than I thought.  I remember watching repeats of Little House on the Prairie, where Caroline is sitting in a rocking chair braiding rags into a rug.

In the above picture I had rag balls that are from pillow cases and an old fabric shower curtain.  It was cumbersome to braid from these rag balls, while sitting in a chair.  I sat down on the floor, and it worked much easier.  Although, I did have to fight off three licking dogs who thought I was sitting on the floor for their playtime.


It was also a good time to crochet my 10 year-old a pair of mittens she's been begging for.  I have never crocheted a pair of mittens and I think I did pretty good.  The only part that stumped me was the thumb.  I know I made mistakes on that part, but will have to practice them a few more times to get it right.



I love snow on a sunny day also.  Especially looking out at it, untouched and sparkling in the sunlight.  Friday was a good day for working a small amount of time on several unfinished projects.


I'm still knitting blocks with the basket weave pattern.  


I'm working on crocheting another granny square bookmark.  This one has more edging on it.


It's a good time today (Saturday) to start on making Wall paper Heart Note Cards for my mother.  I made her these several years ago, and she loves them.  To see more styles I made you can visit S.C.R.A.P.

Of course, before I can start any projects like these, I need to help split wood (after hubby fixes the chain saw), muck the chicken coops, collect eggs, and finish indoor chores.

Comments

Carolyn said…
Beautiful note cards! And the other stuff too! It's nice that winter gives us a "break" (ha!) so that we can sit in front of the fire and do these little crafts.
Katmom said…
Hey Kris, I so envy you and your knitting skills.... that is one thing I just can't seem to master.... so I will stick to my 'can of spray paint' and paint anything that doesn't move! lol!
Enjoy your relaxing time...it's raining here and most of the snow is gone.... :>)
Candy C. said…
Beautiful pictures of the snow! I have never seen crocheted mittens before, very nice! Can't wait to see your finished rug! :)
labbie1 said…
You are a busy busy woman! That bookmark is lovely! Good job on the mittens! I made a braided rug--scratch that--I crocheted that rug! Forgot--brain fart. :) I just took the material like I would for braiding and crocheted it instead. Came out great! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart