Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Saturday Mornings


This morning I filled my cup of coffee, grabbed reading material, and joined one of the girls at the front porch.  We sat in our pajamas without a care.  Even though our little house is on a country highway, and people pass us often, we sat comfortably.

My mind was throwing thoughts around, such as which job to tackle first.  There is always something to fix, repair, build, clean or organize.  There are animals to feed, care for and so much more.  

As a child, I couldn’t wait for Saturday mornings.  I can remember Mom telling us we could sleep in until 10:00am.  However, if we wanted to watch cartoons, we had to be up before 10:00am, because that is when the television was shut off.  I can remember that Mom always washed our bed sheets on Saturday mornings, and if we did chose to sleep in, we were told to bring our sheets down when we came downstairs.  And of course, if we did not get up, we got a wake up call on the house intercom system.  It was the neatest contraption our house could have.  

Today, as a mother to six children, the television is never turned on during mornings.  The kids often complain about not getting the chance to watch Saturday morning cartoons, but they can never get out of bed early either.  

While they were sleeping in, and I was becoming anxious about what needs to be done, and mentally figuring out what needed to be started first, I read a story in The Small Farmer’s Journal.  I ended up laughing out loud.  Here is a small section of the story:

“I was talking with an old-timer some years ago about the seemingly endless nature of work on the farm and he said, “Yep, when yer done yer dead.”  I guess I best not complain about new projects; they may be all that’s keeping me alive.” (The Small Farmer’s Journal, LittleField Notes, Prodigal Sun, by Ryan Foxley, Arlington, Washington, page 33, Spring, Vol. 35, No. 2)
 
If there is one thing I will remember, when I’m becoming anxious or stressed about what needs done, I’ll remember this article and what this man said.  

All this work?  It's all good. 

Now try explaining that to my kids.

No comments: