Skip to main content

Dandelion Jelly

My first batch of dandelion jelly, and it turned out syrup.  Ugh.  We picked the flower petals free from the dandelion tops,


I carefully simmered them, and strained them,

and boiled the final ingredients just as the recipe stated.  However, in the past, I’ve added the sugar after it’s been brought to a boil.  This recipe boiled everything together.  

Now, we have 3 1/2 pints of dandelion syrup that will be used on waffles, pancakes and possibly ice cream.

 
I did learn that you should not squeeze the bag of petals, as the recipe suggested, but should leave it drip on its own.  This way the jelly is clear and not cloudy looking. 

I will make this again some day, but just not today.   

Join the barn hop and post your homesteading updates.

Comments

Melissa Carr said…
Now I have something to try with all the dandelion bouquets my daughter brings me! Thanks for sharing.
Maria said…
My first try with dandelion jelly did the same thing.....However, I read another blog and they said to add extra pectin....so I threw it all into the pan again, reboiled it, added more pectin and it jelled nicely. I hope it works for you!!
Thank you. That tip will help with the next batch. I'm using this first batch to sweeten my organic green iced tea.
Unknown said…
What's the flavor like???

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart