Skip to main content

Toffee Recipe

Homemade Toffee:

 

Ingredients:

  • 1 tablespoon plus 1-3/4 cups butter, softened, divided
  • 2 cups sugar 
  • 1 tablespoon light organic corn syrup
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 pound milk chocolate candy coating, coarsely chopped

Directions

  • Butter a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan with 1 tablespoon butter; set aside. In a heavy 3-qt. saucepan, melt the remaining butter. Add sugar and corn syrup; cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 295° (soft-crack stage). Remove from the heat; stir in pecans and salt.
  • Quickly pour into prepared pan. Let stand for 5 minutes. Using a sharp knife, score into lines. Let stand at room temperature until cool.
  • Separate into squares, using a sharp knife if necessary. In a microwave, melt candy coating, stirring often. Dip squares, one at a time, in coating. Place on waxed paper until set. Yield: 2-1/4 pounds.
Tip:  It's a good idea to check your thermometer before making this candy.  It should read 212° at water boiling temperature.  If it does not, you will need to adjust your temperature in which the recipe requires.

(English Toffee Bars published in Country Woman November/December 1999, p29)

Comments

Unknown said…
Thanks a bunch for posting that!!! :)
Unknown said…
Do you have to use "candy coating" or can you use choc. chips?
Unknown said…
Can you use use choc. chips instead "candy coating"?
I have never used chocolate chips, but you should be able to. I would add a bit of butter to it when melting it maybe. Melting wafers can be found in candy stores, cake decorating aisles of grocery stores and in baking aisles also. Hope this helps. We make Toffee every Christmas.
Unknown said…
Thanks, never made candy before...
Unknown said…
Thanks, never made candy before...

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart