Skip to main content

Family Quilt Goes On a Road Trip

I am not sure on the details of this quilt, and have sent e-mails to extended family for help.  I do know that my Mom, and two Aunt's used it on their bed as girls.  And yes they shared one bed.  


Backside

I'm waiting to find out if my grandmother or my great grandmother made this.  I think I was told it was made from old clothes and rags.  Back then, nothing was thrown out, so you know this is very old.  I was worried about taking it out and putting it on the line for the photos, but wanted to e-mail the historical society. 

Which brings me to the "road trip" part.  Because of the quilts history and fragile state, I am attempting to donate it to a historical society in my grandparents county.  Their original house burned down several years ago, and is not even standing.  Gosh that brings back memories.  Grandma's house smell, is still in the blanket.  I have not washed it, because the material would just fall apart.

Here is a close up of the pattern that was used.  The material is a bit faded, but this quilt is by far, heavier than any blanket you could buy today.  

As soon as I have more information, I'll be updating on the road trip and where it's going for display.

Comments

Thanks for posting, I love hearing about historical things and this is so special because it's your family! I would love to have something my Great Grandma made! Can't wait to hear how the quilt's road trip goes!
Candy C. said…
What a neat thing you are doing!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart