Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Random Tidbits


I took this sunrise photo about 3-4 days ago.  The weather has changed.  It's colder, rainy, windy and dreary outside.  The kind of weather that makes you stay in PJ's all day or sweatpants and putter around getting whatever you need done.

We are also dealing with flooding.

My kitchen has been busy for sure.  While I am trying to put up what was pulled from the garden, Daughter K keeps piling up Halloween treat stuff all over.  Ugh.

We decided we are doing Christmas different this year.  I will not be buying new PJ's for our traditional Christmas Eve.  We all have enough, and I don't want to spend the money.  I'd rather stock up more on food.

It's getting worse and worse.  I went to the store to pick up one item, and saw 3 bags of potatoes in the produce section.  Ham is difficult to find as well.  Organic anyway.  Canned milk?  Good luck with that.  Now the radio is stating there are more shortages of paper products and now alcohol.  Who knows what to believe, other than what I see in the stores right now.

While at the store, we picked up a loaf of organic/non-gmo bread.  There were two loaves on the shelf.  When we got to the check out, the clerk noticed a mouse chewed a hole into the bag.  The carry out/bagger went back and got us the very last loaf.  I just haven't had time to get homemade bread made, but we don't eat it that often either. She said that the store was having issues with mice.  Great.  Just what we needed to hear.

Daughter K told us that at the business she works for, less and less are being delivered to sell.  I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but their store is not even able to order furniture for customers.  The manufacturers said no.  They can only sell what is in their stores.  America has been ruined.  Keep praying and looking out for one another.

4 comments:

Jackie See said...

I think we are finding out that we need to go back to buying local, from local farmers and ranchers. Why do we even need what is on those ships? My worry is that with nothing to sell at Christmas, there will be no jobs. I know a lot of people that pick up extra work during the holidays.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

G Dazeez, yes, that would be a concern. I have thought of that too.

Debby Flowers said...

Hi Kristina and friends, sorry for the trouble you are having. Although there are no doubt shortages of some things everywhere - computers for one, do not think this problem is all over the country. I just shopped at our local small town grocery store tonight. Plenty of food on the shelves, including organic. Plenty of organic produce and bread. Plenty of paper products too. Lots of jobs available for those who want to work. Here in Minnesota we have so many businesses that are short staffed it's ridiculous. McDonalds even has to close the dining room early due to being short staffed. The scariest is our facilities, nursing homes, assisted livings and group homes that are short staffed. So no shortage of jobs, that is for sure. I am happy we live where we do and it truly is a puzzlement to me that if we have no problem getting groceries here, why is there a problem there?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debby, it's definitely confusing. Some issues I think are getting driver's for the trucks to deliver product. I can't believe there are so many job openings here too, yet stores closing due to no employees willing to work. It's just crazy. Restaurants closing etc. The local Pizza Hut in the "Big City" had one employee working one night. The manager. He was seating people, serving them etc all by himself. No one wants to work. I can't believe they are still giving out unemployment, but our governor is a real idiot to put it nicely. I will update on my next grocery shopping trip.