Skip to main content

Random Tidbits


I took this sunrise photo about 3-4 days ago.  The weather has changed.  It's colder, rainy, windy and dreary outside.  The kind of weather that makes you stay in PJ's all day or sweatpants and putter around getting whatever you need done.

We are also dealing with flooding.

My kitchen has been busy for sure.  While I am trying to put up what was pulled from the garden, Daughter K keeps piling up Halloween treat stuff all over.  Ugh.

We decided we are doing Christmas different this year.  I will not be buying new PJ's for our traditional Christmas Eve.  We all have enough, and I don't want to spend the money.  I'd rather stock up more on food.

It's getting worse and worse.  I went to the store to pick up one item, and saw 3 bags of potatoes in the produce section.  Ham is difficult to find as well.  Organic anyway.  Canned milk?  Good luck with that.  Now the radio is stating there are more shortages of paper products and now alcohol.  Who knows what to believe, other than what I see in the stores right now.

While at the store, we picked up a loaf of organic/non-gmo bread.  There were two loaves on the shelf.  When we got to the check out, the clerk noticed a mouse chewed a hole into the bag.  The carry out/bagger went back and got us the very last loaf.  I just haven't had time to get homemade bread made, but we don't eat it that often either. She said that the store was having issues with mice.  Great.  Just what we needed to hear.

Daughter K told us that at the business she works for, less and less are being delivered to sell.  I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but their store is not even able to order furniture for customers.  The manufacturers said no.  They can only sell what is in their stores.  America has been ruined.  Keep praying and looking out for one another.

Comments

Jackie See said…
I think we are finding out that we need to go back to buying local, from local farmers and ranchers. Why do we even need what is on those ships? My worry is that with nothing to sell at Christmas, there will be no jobs. I know a lot of people that pick up extra work during the holidays.
G Dazeez, yes, that would be a concern. I have thought of that too.
Debby Flowers said…
Hi Kristina and friends, sorry for the trouble you are having. Although there are no doubt shortages of some things everywhere - computers for one, do not think this problem is all over the country. I just shopped at our local small town grocery store tonight. Plenty of food on the shelves, including organic. Plenty of organic produce and bread. Plenty of paper products too. Lots of jobs available for those who want to work. Here in Minnesota we have so many businesses that are short staffed it's ridiculous. McDonalds even has to close the dining room early due to being short staffed. The scariest is our facilities, nursing homes, assisted livings and group homes that are short staffed. So no shortage of jobs, that is for sure. I am happy we live where we do and it truly is a puzzlement to me that if we have no problem getting groceries here, why is there a problem there?
Debby, it's definitely confusing. Some issues I think are getting driver's for the trucks to deliver product. I can't believe there are so many job openings here too, yet stores closing due to no employees willing to work. It's just crazy. Restaurants closing etc. The local Pizza Hut in the "Big City" had one employee working one night. The manager. He was seating people, serving them etc all by himself. No one wants to work. I can't believe they are still giving out unemployment, but our governor is a real idiot to put it nicely. I will update on my next grocery shopping trip.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart