Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Best $2.99 I Spent This Month

It was an ordinary day at the grocery store buying a few meager items. I knew the risks and what to expect by taking a 7 year old child with me. As a mother with many tricks up her sleeve I was prepared to say "no" to everything she asked for. Except this particular trip. I said yes and it was the best $2.99 I spent.

My 7 year old daughter will not eat any type of sandwich with lunch meat or any kind of meat. We went through bartering every night to figure out what she would eat in her packed school lunch. She refused to eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches also. It came down to packing Hummus that I made with natural ingredients, and some blue organic chips. However, with Tahini sold at $8.99 a jar at the only location I could find it at, got pretty expensive.

As we coasted down the aisles of the grocery store that day, she spotted it. "Can I have this?" she asked. Immediately I wanted to say no, however it was a ticket to a happier mom and child. It was a sandwich cutter that cut two dinosaurs from a sandwich. Knowing that she is crazy about dinosaurs and unusually eager to learn about them, I said "yes".

That night she not only packed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but she asked if she could make one for a snack that night too. It's been several weeks and she has not gone one day without packing a dinosaur sandwich in her school lunch. It wasn't that she didn't like peanut butter and jelly, it was because it was boring.

No comments: