Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Out of the mouth of a seven year old

"Agh! Mom I'm freaking out! There are like 36 e-mails on my Webkinz and it won't let me delete them! Agh!"

That is exactly what came out of my seven year old daughter's mouth last night. She came running into the room, hair flying everywhere, and frantically waving her arms way above her head. To her it was a disaster.

It's not exactly what I ever expected either. I tried to imagine what I would have been doing at age seven. Computers were never even introduced in schools, until I was in the 10th grade, and classes were called Computer Science. We learned how to basically write computer programs. Not anything close to how computers are used in schools today.

Internet was not around back then, and the printer paper was a lot different. Growing up we were thrilled to finally get a computer, but back then you could only write and save school reports. We had one game for our very cool computer, but were limited to when we were allowed to play it.

Now, several years later, preschoolers are learning to use computer's in school. Could this be why kids can't remember how to write, spell, and especially write cursive? It's amazing how many kids cannot write cursive. With texting on cell phones, e-mailing, and instant messaging, will today's kids even know how to survive without a computer?

Meanwhile, I continue to babysit her Webkinz so her plants don't die. Funny how I never thought, at my age, I would agree to such things. Ha! I have to admit that some of the games in the Arcade are pretty fun too.

No comments: