Monday, May 2, 2011
My first batch of dandelion jelly, and it turned out syrup. Ugh. We picked the flower petals free from the dandelion tops,
I carefully simmered them, and strained them,
and boiled the final ingredients just as the recipe stated. However, in the past, I’ve added the sugar after it’s been brought to a boil. This recipe boiled everything together.
Now, we have 3 1/2 pints of dandelion syrup that will be used on waffles, pancakes and possibly ice cream.
I did learn that you should not squeeze the bag of petals, as the recipe suggested, but should leave it drip on its own. This way the jelly is clear and not cloudy looking.
Join the barn hop and post your homesteading updates.