Skip to main content

Homemade Organic Vanilla (Madagascar) Wafers

I recently became frustrated with locating organic/non-gmo vanilla wafers.  I read the ingredients on the "organic" labeled box and it has "soy lectin" in it and other non-organic ingredients.  Another box I read had "palm oil" (not an organic, non-gmo ingredient) in it. What is labeled "organic" or just "non-gmo" may not be all what it's supposed to be.  Be sure to read your labels. 

In frustration with locating these wafers, I finally decided to mix up a cookie batter that suited us.  Here is the recipe.


Use an electric beater to blend butter, shortening (or lard) with sugar.


Blend in the egg and vanilla.

Add dry ingredients to wet and blend well, then cut dough in half.  Roll out two long logs about 1 inch in diameter (in parchment paper).  Place in refrigerator for 1-2 hours.


Slice and bake 10-12 minutes.  Time depends on how thick you cut the dough.  Remove from oven when edges start browning.   Cool on wire racks.

Homemade Vanilla (Madagascar) Wafers
1 1/3 all purpose organic all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder*
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup organic butter
1/4 cup lard* or organic shortening
1 farm fresh egg, organic fed
1 Tbsp. homemade madagascar vanilla extract

Preheat your oven to 350°F.  Instructions are above recipe.

*lard from an organic farmer, not the processed lard you find sold in grocery stores.


Here's more help for an organic baking powder substitute as well.  You may need to buy online to get these organic/non-gmo (or try a health food store).  Our grocery stores do not sell this, but I am able to find a few items about 3 hours from our homestead.  

Homemade Baking Powder
2 Tbsp. non-gmo baking soda
4 Tbsp. cream of tartar, non-gmo 
2 Tbsp. arrowroot powder, non-gmo

Mix and store in airtight container.
Tip: 1 part soda, 1 part arrowroot powder, 2 parts cream of tartar (to mix any amount).

Comments

Susan said…
I bet your kitchen smelled wonderful! It is so true - even if something is labeled 'organic', you still have to read the labels!!!
Susan, you are right about my kitchen smelling good. They taste wonderful!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart