Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

What's Cookin? Greens. That's what's Cookin'

In 2016, I canned sweet-hot caramelized onions for the first time.  I used them often in different recipes, meals.  This time I used the onions on pizza....


Garden Swiss Chard, ricotta, Parmesan, garden garlic, herb garden thyme, barnyard egg....topped with home canned sweet hot caramelized onions.  Tasted amazing.


Here is how I made mine, but you an google for other recipes:
You need 2 - 14 inch pizza crusts (I used premade thin - yeah I cheated). Organic/non-gmo ingredients.
In a bowl, I mixed:
1 - 15 oz. container ricotta
1/2 cup or more of Parmesan cheese
1 egg yolk
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 tsp. dry thyme
swiss chard wilted (I pre-blanch and freeze mine in pint bags, and used two partially full bags for this)
Spread mixture onto two 14 - inch pizza crusts.
Top with canned "Sweet Hot Caramelized Onions"
or your own freshly caramelized onions.
Bake at 425°F for 10-12 minutes.
salt/pepper 

As for the recipe for the Sweet Hot Caramalized (canned) onions....

It's in this book: 
by Better Homes and Gardens (our library has it, yours may too).
 
It's also in the Better Homes and gardens Special Interest Publication magazine:  Canning, Preserving, Freezing and Drying.  Sept. 2013.  
 
I have yet to find it online. 





8 comments:

Rain said...

The pizza looks delicious! :)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Rain!

Sam I Am...... said...

Your pizza looks amazing and I bet it tastes that way too. I'm going to have to try it...I 'pinned' it for later! Thank you!

Susan said...

That pizza looks amazing! I bet it was wonderful with carmelized onions. I didn't even think about canning them - what a great idea!

Leigh said...

Oh my, that pizza looks absolutely amazing! Just the kind of thing i would love, although Dan would probably turn his nose up at it LOL (More for me!!!)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

You are welcome Sam I Am.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, the onions were a great idea to can. I will be canning them again. They came in handy for topping burgers and breakfast burritos too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Leigh, I was amazed at the flavor. It was so good.