Skip to main content

Hot Mess Express

 

Hot mess express checking in for a quick minute.  October has been, and still is a crammed month of commitments, projects and whatnot.  More so on the commitments (preventing other work to be done).

I feel like the days are so out of control, but I dug out my new jars and recipes.  I realized I had not dehydrated comfrey or plantain, and needed it for one recipe.  Of course, we just mowed too.

The kitchen is full of baskets of herbs and medicinal weeds, which are all waiting their moment in the dehydrator.

Our weather changed rapidly, so I am working quickly.  

Sticky notes to the rescue!  Without them, I would be a double hot mess express.  I finally made a phone call for a quote, that should have been done a year ago.  I was to complete that job today, but someone took the wrong vehicle to work this morning.

Purging continues, but not as productive as it should be.  Garage clean out remains on the to-do list (did I mention too many commitments this month?).



Of course, in the midst of trying to stay sane, and cooking/baking from scratch, it appears that many of my homemade baking items need refilled at once - pumpkin pie spice, taco seasoning, and vanilla extract etc.

Saw this deer as we returned home from the farm/feed store.  It was literally walking to us.  We have seen quite a bit of deer this year.

I would say, that I still have about 80% of the garden to pull yet.  I need to hire help possibly.

I have a few new recipes to hopefully share soon.  Like I said, it's been a wild and crazy month here.

Hot Mess Express  © October 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Betsy said…
You make me tired! It all sounds like wonderful, important activity, but so much to do! I make a few spice mixes of my own, with our favorite being fajita seasoning.
I hope the days slow a bit so you can enjoy the beautiful days of fall.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Leigh said…
Hopefully, you'll have less hectic days coming soon! Thank you for linking to your taco seasoning recipe (love the label). I've been using it more and really need to make my own.
Betsy, I do make homemade fajita seasoning too. Thankfully, it that jar is not empty. I sure hope things slow down soon. It's been way to crazy busy here.
Leigh, you are welcome. Yes, I sure hope our days start slowing down.
Katie C. said…
I finally got the last of the tomatoes and peppers pulled, and those garden beds cleaned up. I still have to do my herbs to dry. Do you do anything to your herbs to remove possible pests other than cleaning with water before you dry them? There was one blog that mentioned using salt water but I don’t know if I like that idea. What do you think and/or do?
Katie C, I use a salad spinner to dry the herbs after washing them, to get the water off for dehydrating.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart