Skip to main content

Skunk Odor

 

I have to share this, as the skunks are on the move at night here.  Something upset one the other night and it sprayed near the house.  I woke up at 5am to a nasty odor lingering into the house.

I got out my diffuser and put even amounts (per my diffuser, as some only hold so much water) of ecualyptus, lemon and tea tree essential oils.  

The diffuser rids the indoor skunk odor that lingers in through a window etc.

However, once I had that odor removed, I went outside to let the chickens out and smelled not one iota of skunk smell.  Strange how it can spray, and the odor wafts into the house, and by the time I got out there, there was no odor.

I was prepared to mix up a skunk spray and spray under windows, but I did not have to do that.  Anyway, the essential oil trick works great.

Skunk Odor © October 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

I do not envy the skunk smell. We have some critters in our yard but I have never seen a skunk around here____yet!
Anne in the kitchen, we rarely see skunks here. Most of the time we smell them once in a while but that's about it thankfully.
Wow that’s good! I know when I’m driving and we smell skunk, I roll down the windows to let the inside of the car air out and then the skunk smell is gone. Never knew that trick until my son told me years ago.
Debby, we pretty much do that too here, but we are thankful that we don't see them too often.
Katie C. said…
Completely off subject: this is a follow up to a comment on a previous blog. I made stuffed spinach/pesto shells the other day. It was a request for a friend’s birthday. Anyway, we previously wrote about making pesto and saving it as “ice” cubes which I have done before. This time, I used Jacques Pepin’s suggestion to blanch the basil leaves before using in the pesto to keep them green. It worked! I even forgot to defrost the pesto cubes before making the shells so I microwaved them and they stayed green!
Katie C, thanks that is good to know.
I suppose it would work well if you could stand the smell of the essential oils. My husband is so sensitive to the heavy odors of essential oils that it is hard for him to breathe.
Far Side of Fifty, I diffused while I was the only one home, but Lysol didn't work. It was the only way to get the smell out of the house.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart